cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions Please! I think I have lost it.

tag
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

Opinions Please! I think I have lost it.

Hi everyone.  

Over the weekend I filled out a preapproved application at DCU for Auto Refi.  I didnt hear anything so deceided that I would call.  We went through the basics and I was approved.  So happy from 8.83% to 1.74%.  Then she hits me with I have an approval for a Visa 10k limit @ 9.5%.  This would be my first 5 digit and my current low apr is 19.99%.  I thought I have no immediate use for it and that I a member this Credit Union.  The limit will have better use elsewhere.  I definitely came unglued for a moment or 2.  I was tripping over my words as I told her it was highest limit and lowest rate.  But I took a deep breath and said thank you but I have to decline.  I just got the Amex Everday at the begining of the month with 15 months 0% so that will get any balances if need be.  So what would you guys do?  You think I made a mistake?  I pretty much made my mind up to change my decision.  The approval is good till June if I would want to though.  Thanks for input everyone.

AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Opinions Please! I think I have lost it.

Personally I would not have turned down a card with an APR of 9.5% if all I currently had was 19.9% and above...

Message 2 of 8
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@staifokuzed wrote:

Hi everyone.  

@Over the weekend I filled out a preapproved application at DCU for Auto Refi.  I didnt hear anything so deceided that I would call.  We went through the basics and I was approved.  So happy from 8.83% to 1.74%.  Then she hits me with I have an approval for a Visa 10k limit @ 9.5%.  This would be my first 5 digit and my current low apr is 19.99%.  I thought I have no immediate use for it and that I a member this Credit Union.  The limit will have better use elsewhere.  I definitely came unglued for a moment or 2.  I was tripping over my words as I told her it was highest limit and lowest rate.  But I took a deep breath and said thank you but I have to decline.  I just got the Amex Everday at the begining of the month with 15 months 0% so that will get any balances if need be.  So what would you guys do?  You think I made a mistake?  I pretty much made my mind up to change my decision.  The approval is good till June if I would want to though.  Thanks for input everyone.

Me personally wouldn't apply for any card that i wouldn't need or use. This cc do they use the same HP as they did for your auto loan? Congratulations on the nice rates for auto loan tho :-)

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 3 of 8
tre_
Established Member

You made the decision. Don't fret over it. Some people would have taken it (including me) others wouldn't have. Keep your credit healthy and you can always apply for a card later on down the line if you need it. Congrats on the awesome rate on your car!

Message 4 of 8
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

@ GDALE-  I completely agree with that.  I have long time left on 0%. I have gotten a lot of cards in the last year.  I am now realizing that I have no use for most except for 

Util purpose.  I generally keep reported balances under 2k between 2-3 cards.

@MONG-    I was not completely confident in the way it was worded when I asked the question.  But I am going to say no other was needed but was possible.       

Message 5 of 8
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

Ty Tre.  

I am actually glad I didnt jump on the offer.  I had to control the impulse.  The same impulse is reason I had to decline.  I am bummed that I coulnt take it but it was the right way to go.  

Since July 13 I opened

3-AMEX

BML

2-USAA

IT

FREEDOM

CIT TY PREFD

SPORTMAN GUIDE

6 of these I dont use at all.  I have 2 older ones that dont get used often.

Message 6 of 8
Chris679
Established Contributor

I was going to say you should take it until the last post. Given all the new accounts you were wise to say no.
Message 7 of 8
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

Wise of me not to accept it.  I guess that is what happens when you say "whats one more gonna hurt".  I have a bunch of useless accounts now.  I will have to bring out the out axe soon.   By July PRG will be gone. I would do it sooner but I like the look.  Others will follow likely at their 1yr mark.  Thanks for the input guys.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.