cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions: Should CLD my Lowe's before spree?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opinions: Should CLD my Lowe's before spree?

So I'm considering another mini-spree in the next couple of weeks or at most months.  My current total credit limits are a little more than my income, say 1.25X.  Naturally, I'd like nice SLs on the cards that I mini-spree for.  I know there are plenty of people on this forum with total credit limits that are 2X-4X their income which I'm not near yet, so perhaps I have plenty of wiggle room here and shouldn't be worried about getting handed low SLs.  I got to thinking though.  My Lowe's card has a $30k limit that I never use even close to and never will.  When I got the card I was approved for $3k and reconned it to $30k since at the time I wanted to raise my total credit limits to lower aggregate utilization.  My aggregate utilization now is always 1% and would still be 1% even if I dropped the Lowe's limit down to say $10k or $15k.  I'm just wondering if it's worthwhile to drop that Lowe's limit before my next mini-spree (and making sure the new limit reports first) as it could make me look less over extended to the creditors that I'm apping with.  Perhaps I'm over thinking this though and it wouldn't matter at all.  I also don't know if it's a bad "look" to halve your credit limit, as perhaps other creditors would notice and see it as a red flag even if it was customer-initiated?  Any advice on this or opinions would be excellent.  Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
thummel
Established Contributor

Re: Opinions: Should CLD my Lowe's before spree?

You could if you really wanted to lower your limit on lowes but I don't think you will run into any problems if your profile is strong and supports it. At one point i was 5X my income to limits and was still getting nice approvals across the board. A strong profile can really go a long way in my honest opinion.
Message 2 of 5
austinguy907
Valued Contributor

The only thing I can think of that might be influential is that you could possibly hit some AA with other cards in your wallet with a dramatic CLD.  Then again it's not a closure but still.  It's a roll of the dice freeing things up and reducing your overall exposure to potential fraud.  We all know Synch isn't the best at mitigating things when it comes down to it.  Then again I don't suspect a ton of activity to get ahold of a Lowe's account either.  

Message 3 of 5
kdm31091
Super Contributor

I would probably put this into the "you're overthinking it" category, because there's little clear evidence that it really matters. Some creditors do look at overall limits vs income, but there are so many other variables that it's really impossible to say whether you should voluntarily lower the limit. If you are truly never going to use such a limit, it could make sense to lower it; it's just unclear whether doing so will provide you any advantage.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses above.  That's more or less what I was figuring, that it's probably not a big deal at this point.  I guess until it becomes a problem there's no need to make it a problem.  If I apply for a card that I expect a $10k SL on and they give me $2k, perhaps that would be a cause for concern... but until something like that happens it's probably not necessary to CLD my Lowe's card.  The next spree I go on will definitely be my last, so once it's done I'm done and will probably end up with total CLs at about 1.5X my income which is more than I'll ever need or come close to using.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.