Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions needed and appreciated :)

tag
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Opinions needed and appreciated :)

Hi everyone, 

I need advice. I will be purchasing a new car next month. I know I will not have issues qualifying for the best financing available at the dealer. They are likely to pull Experian. However, I wanted to also get the US Airways card to take advantage of the 50k sign up bonus. Barclays is likely to pull TU. I have 5 inquiries on EXP and 2 on TU. Would it be a bad idea to apply for the card and auto loan next month? Or should I just hold off on credit cards for a bit and focus on the auto loan? Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opinions needed and appreciated :)

Applying for the US Air card is not going to affect your ability to get a car loan one bit. If you can use the card apply
Message 2 of 12
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

I agree, most dealerships consider 720+ for best financing. Heck in 2012 BMW told me anything over 680 was considered super prime but who really knows... I realize this is a credit card thread but you might want to consider lining up financing ahead of going to the dealership. It may give you leverage for a lower rate/payment.

As for the card, 1 new account is not likely to jeopardize the car, that US Air offer is a sweet deal.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@B335is wrote:
I agree, most dealerships consider 720+ for best financing. Heck in 2012 BMW told me anything over 680 was considered super prime but who really knows... I realize this is a credit card thread but you might want to consider lining up financing ahead of going to the dealership. It may give you leverage for a lower rate/payment.

As for the card, 1 new account is not likely to jeopardize the car, that US Air offer is a sweet deal.

I've come to the conclusion that 680 will get you prime these days.

Message 4 of 12
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

Great! Thank you guys. I definitely will be negotiating the price of the vehicle. I am definitely after a great deal Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 12
aav
Established Contributor

At a certain point anything above 760 is still golden to creditors. I will likely preapply for an auto loan and mortgage refi this year. I've worked to get my scores and I know they will take a dip and eventually recover. In the mean time I still haven't applied for the ritz Carlton for the 140k point bonus. I have plenty of cards and don't want the AF and don't travel enough to justify it. I just want the fancy card with the mice clink lol. If I do apply it will be in the same time frams as the loans. 

EQ - 834 TU - 823 EX - 822
Amex NPSL Amex BCP - 25,000, Amex EDC - 12000, Diner's Club Premier -35,000, Ritz Carlton - 22,500 Discover 25,100, Chase Reserve -31,000 Total Rewards 13200, Barclay 10000 Citi Diamond P 8,900
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@B335is wrote:

Agreed with the idea of lining up a pre-approved car loan from your bank or credit union. You can usually get a lower rate. 

In fact, dealers generally view financing as an extra source of income. So if you are planning on getting pre-approved, don't mention this to them until you agree on a price. They will assume you will be financing so you want to keep it that way. You have less, not more leverage if you are pre-approved, because that is a source of income that is gone for the dealer. 

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Heck arnold with your numbers I'd just go down to the dealer and buy a new ride on a couple of those cards you're holding and go home ridin.  LOL

Message 8 of 12
heyarrnold
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Heck arnold with your numbers I'd just go down to the dealer and buy a new ride on a couple of those cards you're holding and go home ridin.  LOL

Lol, but the interest D: hahahaha. And they would likely charge me CC fees Smiley Sad

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@heyarrnold wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Lol, but the interest D: hahahaha. And they would likely charge me CC fees Smiley Sad

Beat them up on the price up front, then surprise the F&I guy with your cards.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.