Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on Amazon Store Card?

tag
tempusfugit123
Frequent Contributor

Opinions on Amazon Store Card?

Hello Everyone, 

I haven't applied for credit in 2 years and could benefit from opening a store card. I was looking at the amazon card and was wondering if it was easy approval.  I purchase a great deal from them and have been using points through amex and discover but would really like the benefits of their financing.  Does anyone like the card? I have previous and opened accounts with gemb would that help with approval? I wouldn't qualify for the visa or any other bankncards just looking at store cards as of now.

I currently have Jcpenney which is 2 years old ;Target is 5 years old; HSN is 1 year old but was a soft pull so I currently have no inquiries.  

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Opinions on Amazon Store Card?

Pro's: Easy to get, great and easy to obtain interest free offers, 6 months no interest just a need a $150 or greater purchase, longer term deals require larger purchases. CLI's every 4 months

Cons: high APR, no rewards.

Best card for Amazon rewards is the CITI Forward card with 5% on bookstores, Amazon qualifies as a bookstore for most items.

Also consider  Chase Amazon VISA comes with a $30 reward for getting the card.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 11
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@tempusfugit123 wrote:

Hello Everyone, 

I haven't applied for credit in 2 years and could benefit from opening a store card. I was looking at the amazon card and was wondering if it was easy approval.  I purchase a great deal from them and have been using points through amex and discover but would really like the benefits of their financing.  Does anyone like the card? I have previous and opened accounts with gemb would that help with approval? I wouldn't qualify for the visa or any other bankncards just looking at store cards as of now.

I currently have Jcpenney which is 2 years old ;Target is 5 years old; HSN is 1 year old but was a soft pull so I currently have no inquiries.  

I have a 6K line with Amazon/GE and I love the card for the financing deals!! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 11
Gunnar419
Valued Contributor

For pros, don't forget all that GE auto-luv.

I have both the Amazon store card (GE) and the Chase Amazon Visa. Although the Chase card has a lower APR and a decent cashback bonus, the storecard grows more quickly and, as noted already, has 0% financing deals on all large purchases.

Message 4 of 11
daninbath
Established Member

I have had the store card since Dec. 2012. It was easy to get, original CL was 1200, two months later they raised it to 2400.  I like the financing options, if you pay it off in time, you don't have to worry about the high interest rate.  I love it so far !

Message 5 of 11
mauwow0682
Frequent Contributor

I have both. Store card and the chased backed credit card. I use the the stock card strictly for no interest charges and for purchases under $149 I use the chase amazon card. It would be nice chase upped it to 5x for amazon.

Also the chase version is one isnt terribly difficult to get

Starting Score: 620 FAKO
Current Score: FICO TU 715 (wal-mart) FICO EQ 692
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 11
primechicken
Contributor

Frankly, you can do better rewards shopping on Amazon with cards other than both the Amazon store card and the Visa. Just between the rotating categories on the Chase Freedom and the Discover It cards, for example, you can easily find a way to purchase Amazon gift cards somewhere that will earn you 5% cash back - whether it be gas stations, home improvement stores, drugstores, department stores, etc. Even if for some reason neither of those two cards offered a category where you could earn 5% back buying Amazon gift cards, other options include the American Express Blue Cash Everyday and the Bank of America Cash Rewards cards, each of which offers 3% back on grocery stores and gas stations respectively. You can definitely buy Amazon gift cards at grocery stores (BCE) even if you can't find em at the gas station (BofA). With any of those alternatives you'd be doing as good as, or better than, even the Amazon Visa in terms of earning cash back on Amazon spending. Plus, you'd have the added bonus of earning 3-5% cash back on spending outside of Amazon as well. Just something to consider. There are other cards like these, too, such as the US Bank Cash+ Rewards and the Citi Forward, like someone else also mentioned. Best of luck to ya!

I got some cards with some credit limits. Some are better than others.
Message 7 of 11
boomhower
Valued Contributor

I have one and really like it.  I use it for the financing promo's as well.  My line is up to 10K after around three years.  For rewards the Sallie Mae card is also a good option.  5% up $750 spend/month.

Message 8 of 11
bk510
Valued Contributor

@mauwow,

i have a store card for 700, and wanna get a mac mini ..... i think its 599.

what i like to no is that if i do buy it from amazon through 6 or 12 watever financing....

Would this purchase reflect as an installment on my credir report?  if so, this would be a good thing on my report since i will have combination of a an installment and

revolving?

thanks,

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 9 of 11
jlfce1
Regular Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@tempusfugit123 wrote:

Hello Everyone, 

I have a 6K line with Amazon/GE and I love the card for the financing deals!! Smiley Happy

+1 - The financing is reward enough for me. I do the majority of Christmas Shopping on this card! And they just increased my CL from 700-->2500; another bonus!

Amex BCE 24.5K | BofA Cash Rewards 15K | CSP MC 13.5K| Chase Freedom 7.5K | Discover IT 3K
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.