Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on Fidelity Amex?

tag
celluloid17
Established Contributor

Re: Opinions on Fidelity Amex?

This card would be great for someone who is looking for a straightforward, all purpose credit card for the majority of their spend.  It's also great if you have investments or retirement accounts with Fidelity and you want to supplement that relationship.  For someone who doesn't spend a lot or whose spend is spread out across many other reward cards (quarterly or otherwise), it can take a very long time before you have enough points accumulated to redeem for cash in your CMA.  The Citi Double Cash card is slightly more versatile being a MC and it takes half the time to achieve the redemption threshold.

If I had known the Double Cash card was coming down the pike, I personally wouldn't have app'd for the Fidelity Amex this past June.  If there were no Double Cash card, then I would say that Fidelity Amex is a pretty sweet addition to have in your arsenal for all miscellaneous spend with the caveat that it requires a bit of patience until you see rewards.

ETA: The website interface is very simple, no frills, but it's functional and very similar to BOA's website.

Message 21 of 25
Involver
Valued Contributor

Love this card. Incredible customer service, high credit lines, no-fuss 2% back. The CMA has become my every day checking account as well since I opened this card.
Message 22 of 25
SomeGuyNamedFred
Established Member

I like the card but find the company to be a pain to deal with (Fidelity and FIA card services).  List of issues i have with Fidelity:

1. Customer service - Becuase their website lacks basic features I'm forced to call into their service line and am frequently transferred between multiple departments for simple tasks (like turning off my CCs autopay feature).  Also just a heads up, when activating the card be prepared to go through a live person that will try to upsell you on balance transfers and account features.  I'd have actually preferred an automated system as the guy was intrusive, pushy, and rude.
  2. Their website - It's outdated, kind of difficult to navigate, and lacks basic features.   Example was setting up (and then canceling) autopay.  Settting it up wasn't too bad just hard to find, but if you want to cancel it you have to call in and deal with their customer service department.  The reason i canceled autopay was b/c it will pay your statement balance and does not account for  payments already made.  Also,  there is no way to cancel a payment.  For example, i had a $1000 statement balance one month which i paid off in full two weeks before the due date. At the end of the month autopay still debited $1000 from my bank account despite no longer owing anything and there is no feature to cancel it.  So my starting balance the following month was -$1K.   Because of their crappy website I'm forced to call their customer service department more times than i would, and they have the worst i've dealt with.
  3. The amount of mail Fidelity sends you - good god the first month they sent me a separate notice for everything... one to verify my email address, one to verify my mailing address, one to notifiy that my email address had been set up, another one to notify that my permanent address was set up, etc....   Luckily the mail has died down, but lets just say they are 
  4. Setting up the CMA was easy, but you will probably get a call from some shmoe asking if he can "help" you set up your account and invest your money.  I only got the account to get the 2% rewards on the card and eventually had to ask this guy to stop calling me, which he did.
  5. As others have mentioned you can only redeem after you've accumulated $50 in rewards.  This can take a while depending on your spend, so the double cash wins for me just in that department.

Had i knowns the double cash would be coming out, I also would have gotten that instead. 

Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had issues using amex 4 out of 10 times. So DC is the way to go

Message 24 of 25
thelethargicage
Valued Contributor

@SomeGuyNamedFred wrote:

I like the card but find the company to be a pain to deal with (Fidelity and FIA card services).  List of issues i have with Fidelity:

1. Customer service - Becuase their website lacks basic features I'm forced to call into their service line and am frequently transferred between multiple departments for simple tasks (like turning off my CCs autopay feature).  Also just a heads up, when activating the card be prepared to go through a live person that will try to upsell you on balance transfers and account features.  I'd have actually preferred an automated system as the guy was intrusive, pushy, and rude.
  2. Their website - It's outdated, kind of difficult to navigate, and lacks basic features.   Example was setting up (and then canceling) autopay.  Settting it up wasn't too bad just hard to find, but if you want to cancel it you have to call in and deal with their customer service department.  The reason i canceled autopay was b/c it will pay your statement balance and does not account for  payments already made.  Also,  there is no way to cancel a payment.  For example, i had a $1000 statement balance one month which i paid off in full two weeks before the due date. At the end of the month autopay still debited $1000 from my bank account despite no longer owing anything and there is no feature to cancel it.  So my starting balance the following month was -$1K.   Because of their crappy website I'm forced to call their customer service department more times than i would, and they have the worst i've dealt with.
  3. The amount of mail Fidelity sends you - good god the first month they sent me a separate notice for everything... one to verify my email address, one to verify my mailing address, one to notifiy that my email address had been set up, another one to notify that my permanent address was set up, etc....   Luckily the mail has died down, but lets just say they are 
  4. Setting up the CMA was easy, but you will probably get a call from some shmoe asking if he can "help" you set up your account and invest your money.  I only got the account to get the 2% rewards on the card and eventually had to ask this guy to stop calling me, which he did.
  5. As others have mentioned you can only redeem after you've accumulated $50 in rewards.  This can take a while depending on your spend, so the double cash wins for me just in that department.

Had i knowns the double cash would be coming out, I also would have gotten that instead. 

I wish i would've read this before I apped. Oh well. Thank you very much.

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.