Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opinions on the venture card (2%)

tag
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Opinions on the venture card (2%)

I asked again today whether i could upgrade my card to a world MC, and was told no. The other day they offered to PC me to ventureone, today they offered to PC me to the venture card (2%) with no annual fee for the life of the account. Im not sure whether to take the offer or not, i definitely wont do it until at least after my 50% cash back bonus... Unless i can get them to just give me a bonus now.

So what are your opinions on the venture card if you have(had) it. I'm m hoping if I have one of their "prime" cards maybe they'll give me a CLI. They've PCd me once, and just offered me a second one, but i still cant get a CLI.

Info:
My account is 7 months old, got my first PC through chat now, got second pc offer to venture through chat now as well.
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Re: Opinions on the venture card (2%)

@jsucool76 wrote:
I asked again today whether i could upgrade my card to a world MC, and was told no. The other day they offered to PC me to ventureone, today they offered to PC me to the venture card (2%) with no annual fee for the life of the account. Im not sure whether to take the offer or not, i definitely wont do it until at least after my 50% cash back bonus... Unless i can get them to just give me a bonus now.

So what are your opinions on the venture card if you have(had) it. I'm m hoping if I have one of their "prime" cards maybe they'll give me a CLI. They've PCd me once, and just offered me a second one, but i still cant get a CLI.

Info:
My account is 7 months old, got my first PC through chat now, got second pc offer to venture through chat now as well.

I've never had the card so I can't speak to how good it is. However, I think it's a pretty intriguing offer considering that the 2% venture card normally has a $59 af. 

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 2 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

I applied for my original plat card through a mail offer. The mail offer listed waived AF for the life of the account, which survived through my cash rewards PC, and I was told it would also survive through the venture PC.
Message 3 of 11
OptimasPrime
Frequent Contributor

Hmm..I guess that makes it less of a no brainer then. Still the 2% venture is generally considered to be cap ones flagship product. 

Although, if you don't travel much it might make sense to keep the cash rewards card.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Message 4 of 11
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

I think 2% with no AF is a pretty good deal.  Have you looked at Priceline Visa. It's basically a no AF 2% cashback card.  Though Cap1 has no forex fees, so that might be a better option depending on whether you travel overseas.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

The priceline visa is definitely on my list for when I get out of the garden. I don't really travel all that often, and normally wouldn't do the venture, but since it has no AF there really isn't nt much to lose. Gives me a reason to travel really.
Message 6 of 11
bs6054
Valued Contributor

Anyone know the redemption rate when redeeming for non-travel rewards?  Can't quickly find anything on the web. The Cap One site says that the rates vary, but can't find a definite rate for e.g. cash back/statement credit/gift card.   If the OP doesn't do a lot of travel, these rates will determine if Venture is better than the existing 1.5% or not!

But as others have said, for new users, apart from Forex (and use another card there) Venture with AF is beaten by things like Priceline Visa.  But OP is in a special case, and I guess it really comes down 2% redeemed at what rate vs 1.5% for stuff he wants!

Message 7 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Saw under the T&C that the min CL for venture is 5k.wonder if that means they'll up my limit as well.
Message 8 of 11
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Bs6054:
From what I've read, statement credit is half value (so 1% cash back instead of 2%)
Definitely considering this if they'll let me get my 50% anniversary bonus now so I don't. miss out on all that bonus cash back.
Message 9 of 11
pkosheta
Contributor

A 2% back no annual fee card with no forex fee.  That's AMAZING, you are very Very lucky.  Keep that card and use it when you are not using a 5% category card. Congrats

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi DoubleCash (PC'd in *14) 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.