Senior Contributor
jsucool76

Opinions on the venture card (2%)

I asked again today whether i could upgrade my card to a world MC, and was told no. The other day they offered to PC me to ventureone, today they offered to PC me to the venture card (2%) with no annual fee for the life of the account. Im not sure whether to take the offer or not, i definitely wont do it until at least after my 50% cash back bonus... Unless i can get them to just give me a bonus now.

So what are your opinions on the venture card if you have(had) it. I'm m hoping if I have one of their "prime" cards maybe they'll give me a CLI. They've PCd me once, and just offered me a second one, but i still cant get a CLI.

Info:
My account is 7 months old, got my first PC through chat now, got second pc offer to venture through chat now as well.
>
Frequent Contributor
OptimasPrime

Re: Opinions on the venture card (2%)

jsucool76 wrote:
I asked again today whether i could upgrade my card to a world MC, and was told no. The other day they offered to PC me to ventureone, today they offered to PC me to the venture card (2%) with no annual fee for the life of the account. Im not sure whether to take the offer or not, i definitely wont do it until at least after my 50% cash back bonus... Unless i can get them to just give me a bonus now.

So what are your opinions on the venture card if you have(had) it. I'm m hoping if I have one of their "prime" cards maybe they'll give me a CLI. They've PCd me once, and just offered me a second one, but i still cant get a CLI.

Info:
My account is 7 months old, got my first PC through chat now, got second pc offer to venture through chat now as well.

I've never had the card so I can't speak to how good it is. However, I think it's a pretty intriguing offer considering that the 2% venture card normally has a $59 af. 

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Senior Contributor
jsucool76

I applied for my original plat card through a mail offer. The mail offer listed waived AF for the life of the account, which survived through my cash rewards PC, and I was told it would also survive through the venture PC.
>
Frequent Contributor
OptimasPrime

Hmm..I guess that makes it less of a no brainer then. Still the 2% venture is generally considered to be cap ones flagship product. 

Although, if you don't travel much it might make sense to keep the cash rewards card.

EQ 778 | TU 776
Barclay US Airways WMC 7.5k | BCE 5.8k | BofA Travel Rewards 9.1k | Chase Marriott Premier 13k | Citi TYP WMC 6.5k | Freedom Visa Sig 8k| Discover it 10k
Senior Contributor
Walt_K

I think 2% with no AF is a pretty good deal.  Have you looked at Priceline Visa. It's basically a no AF 2% cashback card.  Though Cap1 has no forex fees, so that might be a better option depending on whether you travel overseas.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
jsucool76

The priceline visa is definitely on my list for when I get out of the garden. I don't really travel all that often, and normally wouldn't do the venture, but since it has no AF there really isn't nt much to lose. Gives me a reason to travel really.
>
Valued Contributor
bs6054

[ Edited ]

Anyone know the redemption rate when redeeming for non-travel rewards?  Can't quickly find anything on the web. The Cap One site says that the rates vary, but can't find a definite rate for e.g. cash back/statement credit/gift card.   If the OP doesn't do a lot of travel, these rates will determine if Venture is better than the existing 1.5% or not!

But as others have said, for new users, apart from Forex (and use another card there) Venture with AF is beaten by things like Priceline Visa.  But OP is in a special case, and I guess it really comes down 2% redeemed at what rate vs 1.5% for stuff he wants!

Senior Contributor
jsucool76

Saw under the T&C that the min CL for venture is 5k.wonder if that means they'll up my limit as well.
>
Senior Contributor
jsucool76

Bs6054:
From what I've read, statement credit is half value (so 1% cash back instead of 2%)
Definitely considering this if they'll let me get my 50% anniversary bonus now so I don't. miss out on all that bonus cash back.
>
Contributor
pkosheta

A 2% back no annual fee card with no forex fee.  That's AMAZING, you are very Very lucky.  Keep that card and use it when you are not using a 5% category card. Congrats

Age 29
AU- United+ Visa 33k, *97. GM MasterCard 15k, *95.
Individual- PenFed Plat Rew 7k, *08. Amex Blue 6.7k, *12. Hilton Amex 5.5k, *12. Chase Sapphire 15k, *12. U.S. Bank Cash+ 12.3k, *12. Barclays Priceline.com Rewards Visa 11k, *13. Citi Hilton Reserve 7k, *13. Club Carlson Premier 9k, *13.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}