Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opt-Out: effect on PreQualified offers?

tag
brother7
Established Contributor

Opt-Out: effect on PreQualified offers?

If one were to Opt-Out from prescreened offers, would that affect one's chances of being pre-qualified when checking on the Capital One "See if You're Pre-qualified" or Citi "See if You're Pre-qualified" sites?

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opt-Out: effect on PreQualified offers?

Yes, I was opted out for awhile and went into the chase branch to see if I was prequaled for CSR and they didn't have any offers. I opted back in and 5 days later I started getting tons of offers again.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@brother7 wrote:

If one were to Opt-Out from prescreened offers, would that affect one's chances of being pre-qualified when checking on the Capital One "See if You're Pre-qualified" or Citi "See if You're Pre-qualified" sites?

Yeah, if you opt out you won't see offers there and you won't get mailed offers either.

I was opted out for years, and when I opted back in I started getting all of the junk mail again so you have to weigh whether you'd want to know on the websites and get a metric ton of junk mail or if you want to cold app everything and get less junk mail.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe there was a way to choose who and what type of offers you get. I'll see if I can find the article but im pretty sure it was on ThePointsGuy's site.

Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm opted out, would I be able to get special offers from creditors I have accounts with? Like bonus cash back stuff, low APR, etc.
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm opted out, would I be able to get special offers from creditors I have accounts with? Like bonus cash back stuff, low APR, etc.

No prequalified stuff at all. I assume opting out doesn't allow soft pulls from anyone except yourself. You can opt back in here: https://www.optoutprescreen.com/opt_form.cgi

IMO while annoying, if you're into the credit card rewards game its worth opting in.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No prequalified stuff at all. I assume opting out doesn't allow soft pulls from anyone except yourself. You can opt back in here: https://www.optoutprescreen.com/opt_form.cgi

IMO while annoying, if you're into the credit card rewards game its worth opting in.

No, I've checked and I still get regular AR SP pulls from Citi for example. However Discover has finally stopped its nearly monthly pulls on me. I think it may just be new creditors. No interest in opting back in, I'll live lol
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was preapproved for a slighly sweetened AMEX BCE via phone while in optout back in June. Been getting a lot of soft pull Experien fico updates ever since. I got the card, moved my everyday credit line and closed the older card. I had no use for MR points and have received over $200 in cash back and bonus money since getting the BCE 4 months ago. 16.5 CL @0% interest, then 13.24 late next year. Under 5/24 in January then might go for the CSR depending on my travel plans. I have a low limit CSP that will be 2 years old at that time. I'll PC it if I get the pricey new card.
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Of course, companies that you have a RELATIONSHIP can and DO have the RIGHT to soft pull your credit....THINK ABOUT IT?????

1) You signed an agreement with them duh

2) It only makes LOGICAL SENSE....for one party who is LENDING another party MONEY....would be the ok to check in on said party every now again, even a landlord with notice can come check on his/her freaking property...wth?

Ppl may 'confuse' the LANGUAGE but an AR  or account review is a SP....many vendors do SPs every 2 months like NFCU, while others it's every quarter, others twice a year (that's why many have the 6 month CLI type deal) but it's almost moronic to think lenders just give out OPEN LINES of credit....which in and of it's nature is an open possible liability from their accounting side of the equation...w/o ANY monitoring of those OPEN obligations...c'mon ppl

Unfortunately we do not do a great job of basic finanicial understanding in our nation, no we allow ppl to 'play AT it, that's what the marketers want and the public lazily falls into these nonsense.

Most can't 'get' that a debit must match with a credit....those accounting terms mean the same thing they do in accounting class but today's general public may as well be looking at Chinese math.....the vendor only want the accounting to work ONEway...you OWE them never the other way around....

I purposely like to round up my payments but Cap-1 will send out a check for 9 cents before they let a 'credit' in favor sit on the books no freaking way it's got be 'debit' to them or 0

So trust me of course...they HAVE TO ...SP your freaking credit profile from time to time and THEY decide not YOU when they want to....this isn't a government RIGHT or something you're borrowing OPM (other people's money) or at least by holding their card you're asking for the ability to at any moment...if that we YOU wouldn't you keep tabs on who walked around with a mini loan maker with YOUR name and money attached to it....THINK IT OUT PPL!

*Again, we're speaking of a company YOU already went to the alter with and said I, DO....ya'll marriedSmiley Surprisedshe can look at you in the shower

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.