Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opt out vs. freeze

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Opt out vs. freeze

What is the difference in the opt out vs. freeze?  If ice a bureau what exactly happens?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opt out vs. freeze

@Anonymous wrote:

What is the difference in the opt out vs. freeze?  If ice a bureau what exactly happens?

Freezing stops 1 credit bureau at a time from pre-screened offers.  It also stops inquiries from that particular bureau...nobody is able to pull that credit report without your PIN although you should still be able to request your own credit report.

OptOut stops 'em all from pre-screened offers; but does not affect the ability to pull credit or add more inquiries to your file.

Message 2 of 12
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Opting out simply means you won't recieve prequals. The bureaus can be pulled with no problem though, and doesn't affect apping.

Freezing means the bureau is locked up and can't be pulled when you app for credit. This can be done to reduce "impulse apping". However, if the card you want happens to require a certain pull, you'll be auto declined if the bureau is frozen. Personally, I find it easy enough to control apping on my own without cumbersome freezing of bureaus, but for some it can really be a good thing.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding to the above if you freeze any report you will then be automatically opted out of any pre-qual offers. Which is a bit annoying but you can opt-in again manually.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Opting out simply means you won't recieve prequals. The bureaus can be pulled with no problem though, and doesn't affect apping.

Freezing means the bureau is locked up and can't be pulled when you app for credit. This can be done to reduce "impulse apping". However, if the card you want happens to require a certain pull, you'll be auto declined if the bureau is frozen. Personally, I find it easy enough to control apping on my own without cumbersome freezing of bureaus, but for some it can really be a good thing.

See, that's one thing i'll admit you have better control of. I'll blow through a spend bonus and want to do another app for another juicy bonus. Smiley Happy

Hence, I keep my reports iced. If I DO apply, I know i'll have to go through manual review if I decide to provide a pin. None of my reports will stand up to a hardcore inquisition right now. Smiley Indifferent

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nixon- You iced ALL 3?

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Nixon- You iced ALL 3?

EX

EQ

TU

IDA

ARS

Innovis

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

In the good 'ol days, 1 was enough.

I'm still good with 2 freezers instead of 3 (or 6) Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 12
joedtx
Valued Contributor

In the old days all you had to do was send a letter to Karen @ TRW and she'd pull your card out of the Rolodex and it was done. None of this fancy high tech phone call or faxing or the like Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 12
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Opting out stops promotional screening SP's. It does not stop SP's for a permissable purpose.

You opt out globally - one opt out applies to all three credit bureaus. This is done primarily to

reduce junk offers and it works pretty well for that purpose. Opting out does nothing to stop

a person from applying for new accounts.

Credit Freeze stops HP's and prevents new applications that require a HP from going through.

It does not stop SP's for promotional screening nor for other permissable purpose. You will

still receive some junk mail offers with a freeze in place, although the fact that your account has

a freeze in place can be seen on a SP and may reduce some of the junk mail . Some credit

monitoring services have difficulty pulling reports with a freeze in place (*cough*MyFico*cough*),

but the problem is entirely with the report service. CreditKarma has always been able to S-pull

with a freeze and CreditSesame recently resolved their issues. Freezing can be done for several

reasons: securing reports against identity theft; controlling HP happy salespeople when shopping

cars, mortgages, etc.; providing some self discipline against card apps by providing an additional

hurdle to applying.

I have been both frozen and opted out for over a year and am happy with both in place. I recommend it

to anyone because I feel more secure with a freeze in place and I don't need junk offers to figure out

what the best credit products are for my situation.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.