Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimal Backdating on AMEX

tag
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

Optimal Backdating on AMEX

What time is it optimal to app for amex? 

If its the first card does it really matter? as long as the next card is in January of the next year? 

For example. I app for my first amex next month and say I get it. 9/12 then app in January of 13 and says member since January of 12? Is that how that works. 

In that case if I get approval in September and let all my inquiries age off and apply any year after July of 14. So lets say January of 15' if they back dated it would still say member since January of 12' am I correct? by then my aaoa will hit 2-3 years with 7 accounts and 2 of them being over 5 years old. 

Just the sound of that is like woah. 

im old now. 

Excuse the late night rambles. This is a serious question. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Optimal Backdating on AMEX

@OlegWasHere wrote:

What time is it optimal to app for amex? 

If its the first card does it really matter? as long as the next card is in January of the next year? 

For example. I app for my first amex next month and say I get it. 9/12 then app in January of 13 and says member since January of 12? Is that how that works. 

In that case if I get approval in September and let all my inquiries age off and apply any year after July of 14. So lets say January of 15' if they back dated it would still say member since January of 12' am I correct? by then my aaoa will hit 2-3 years with 7 accounts and 2 of them being over 5 years old. 

Just the sound of that is like woah. 

im old now. 

Excuse the late night rambles. This is a serious question. 

youve got it right. if you app in january it will be january of the year of your oldest account with them. amex is the only company that does this.

Message 2 of 8
Jlu
Established Contributor

Its whenever your first relationship is personally established with AMEX.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 3 of 8
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

you've got it right. If you app in January it will be January of the year of your oldest account with them. amex is the only company that does this.

Alright thanks. 

Growing up working for everything including my amex =) 

everytime i go out with 2 of my best friends parents one has amex and the other has a all black card. 

not sure what kind but its something i aspire to get. (to have not use lol) 

mind their parents are successful business owners. 

one with their company being over 30years in business and the other over 25 in business. 

I came to America 15 years ago (now 21) 

looking to live the American dream of getting amex backdating started for my future kids. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

centurion or visa black? 

i suspect visa black. but that card has quite the AF and isnt ideal for everyone. not the best goal card to strive for IMO. 

if hes got the centurion, disregard my post!

Message 5 of 8
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

centurion or visa black? 

i suspect visa black. but that card has quite the AF and isnt ideal for everyone. not the best goal card to strive for IMO. 

if hes got the centurion, disregard my post!

honestly im not sure as i dont really hang out with them(parents) I only got a quick look at it. (ill ask the ones i see all the tommorrow) i was talking to him about credit and he said my father always said that if you dont have the money you dont need it. 

i was under the assumption when they bought this summer house back in 05 they got a morgatge. turns out they paid cash. =___=. well check but same difference. i dont want to put out how much it was but over 500 under a million. 

im no where near that but someday. 

and yes centurion is an ultimate goal. 

but for my expenses. having the credit i have now is alright. 1k credit and 7600 store credit (blah)

i wish it was more credit vs store but it is what it is. 

i dont want to charge more then 1k at one time anyway. i can just use my debit(currently set at 10k max purchase), or write a check if thats the case. 

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 6 of 8
Jlu
Established Contributor

Your friends father is smart. Don't buy what you can't afford to pay for at the exact moment you charge it. Unless it is an asset such as a house or car and even then you should have 20-30% cash (and no, 3D Plasma TV's don't count as assets). 

The Visa Black Card is a joke. I think the requirements are that you are breathing and have $495 for the AF. However if it's a Centurion Black then you've got the real deal.

The Chase Freedom will grow with you so definitely hold on to it. One day you will be able to PC it to a CSP.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 7 of 8
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Jlu wrote:

Your friends father is smart. Don't buy what you can't afford to pay for at the exact moment you charge it. Unless it is an asset such as a house or car and even then you should have 20-30% cash (and no, 3D Plasma TV's don't count as assets). 

The Visa Black Card is a joke. I think the requirements are that you are breathing and have $495 for the AF. However if it's a Centurion Black then you've got the real deal.

The Chase Freedom will grow with you so definitely hold on to it. One day you will be able to PC it to a CSP.

i was always the same way, but due to credit worthiness needed for a car/ house i want to start now (well at this point two years in)

i hope it will grow but wont ask for cli. 

with the rewards its pretty good. 

my bank mastercard(as an employee benefits never expire) 3%cash back on most used category and 1% on everything else. (also wont ask for a cli there because im almost sure its a hard pull)

as for other cards

kohls-soft (as soon as their system is up)

macy's soft(just got 2000 in June(auto) and asked for a bump this months and was approved for 3500)

AE-GE 

Walmart-GE

Best Buy(soft but I don't think ill ever get a cli with them since my mom is a joint signer)

anyways about the amex it is a centurion. I asked if I could look at it and they gave me a weird face and reaction.(but let me)

they also accept amex at their business Smiley Wink

P.S.. Just bought the annual scorewatch. 

Wasted free report (says the same stuff as my old one from two weeks ago.)

chase has not reported to eq yet but credit karma has already reported it for tu and it dropped 30 points =/ because it reported the 257 balance(was paid the same day statement cut)

anyways still on track to app for amex charge card next month just have to wait till the end of the month. (same with the car i guess)

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.