Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Optimal Scoring method

tag
Jpmack29
Regular Contributor

Optimal Scoring method

Can someone explain the optimal credit scoring method I keep reading about? It seems numerous people say to pay in full all credit card accounts, but let one report with a balance below 10%. Then i get confused of the time periods to do this, am i supposed to just pay all my card balances once it gives me a due date, and balance? Some say let it report and then pay it off, I may be incorrect with that statement. And what is the method I hear about statement cutoffs, I am confused. Say my due date is the 6th of each month, and I get a statement the 9th or 10th. Should i pay in full all cards before the due date, and reduce one card balance below 10% paid and let that report? Thanks, I do not mean to confuse anyone by this, as I myself, am quite confused with the method. Or i may just be overthinking it, as i tend to do that alot. Thanks

Current (8/2015): Equifax 688, Transunion 689, Experian 708
Goal Scores: 700 across the board

Capital One Venture: $5500| Discover it: $4500| American Express Green Card: NPSL| Capital One- QuickSilver: $3000| American Express Everyday Card: $2000| Bank of America- Americard Cash Rewards: $1500 | Barclays Cash Rewards: $1300| Chase Freedom:$1200| Barclays Apple Rewards: $2000
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
shoo
Frequent Contributor

Re: Optimal Scoring method

Hi!

Well, first, the reporting under 10% utilization "rule" is just something that works for some people. Personally, my scores are highest when I let one card report under 10%, but it may differ for some people. You just have to experiment with it each month.

To answer you question about paying your balances, I'll give you an example:

My discover card statement closes on the April 19th, so to report the util I want, I will pay down my current balance on April 18th to whatever amount will make my balance/credit limit show below 10%. For example, if I currently owe $100 and my limit is $1000, I will pay $50  of my balance on April 18th to make my util show 5% by the time my statement closes on April 19th. Then I'll pay the remaining $50 balance some time after April 19th and before my due date.

If you have multiple cards with balances and different statement dates, it might take a few weeks to see the effects of bringing down your util. To go with my example above, say I have 2 other cards that have statement dates of April 1 and April 7. I would completely pay off those cards to $0 before the statement closes if my goal is to let only ONE card report a balance for the month of April.

$4200$1000$2650$53,000$6500$2500$12,500$7000$7000$34,700$12,100$10,000
EX - 790 | TU - 782 | EQ - ?
--- In the garden since April 2019 ---
Message 2 of 4
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

I answered this question in the past, here:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/How-do-I-play-the-1-9-Utilization-Game-Please-...

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Themanwhocan wrote:

I answered this question in the past, here:  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/General-Credit-Topics/How-do-I-play-the-1-9-Utilization-Game-Please-...

I just read that and I want to thank you for laying that out. Very, very helpful!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.