v. Capital One Quicksilver Rewards

My income is $120k/yr and my scores are:

Penfed FICO NG 2: 814
DCU (EQ): 759
CK: 799 (TU), 803 (EQ)
CS: 798 (TU)

AAoA: 4yr. Last application: 10/2013

Questions:

1. Is the order of application correct/optimized for odds of approval? I really need the first 3, but perhaps the Fidelity one should be applied AFTER the Quicksilver to maximize BOTH begin approved? Should I swap ii and iv assuming Discover is not as strict as Capital One for Quicksilver while STILL getting approved for both?
2. What are the chances that I will be rejected by any of them because I am not a U.S. Citizen?
3. What are the chances that I will be rejected by any of them because I will be applying for all of them within a span of few minutes on same day?
4. How is recon for these cards? Which ones are very picky (Won't be applying for another Chase card in 2 years)
5. Would "send $ to a friend" through PayPal be a foolish way of meeting min spend on these credit cards? (Send as friend to room-mate and she withdraws to her bank?)

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Optimum order for 5 card apporama

1. Is the order of application correct/optimized for odds of approval? I really need the first 3, but perhaps the Fidelity one should be applied AFTER the Quicksilver to maximize BOTH begin approved? Should I swap ii and iv assuming Discover is not as strict as Capital One for Quicksilver while STILL getting approved for both?

Answer: There is no order of  odds of approval for the cards.  The only thing I will say is whatever you do, apply for Capital One last as they pull all three bureaus.

2. What are the chances that I will be rejected by any of them because I am not a U.S. Citizen?

Answer: That does not not play a huge role in the approval process.  As long as you are legal and qualified, you should be able to get the cards.

3. What are the chances that I will be rejected by any of them because I will be applying for all of them within a span of few minutes on same day?

Answer: That we can't answer as we don't have your credit profile in front of us nor do we know what algorithms the companies use in approving an applicant.

4. How is recon for these cards? Which ones are very picky (Won't be applying for another Chase card in 2 years)

Answer: Chase tends to be very picky but since you haven't applied for a card in two years, you should be fine.  

5. Would "send $ to a friend" through PayPal be a foolish way of meeting min spend on these credit cards? (Send as friend to room-mate and she withdraws to her bank?)

Answer:  Don't know.  Never tried it.  If there are other ways of meeting spend, I suggest you look into those.

EDIT: Welcome to the board.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you very much for your reply. Your input about Capital One was very helpful. My impression of Capital One and Discover is that they are not very INQ sensetive? So perhaps my originakl order of application is ok. I am hoping Fidelity does not freak out about all those recent INQ.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you very much for your reply. Your input about Capital One was very helpful. My impression of Capital One and Discover is that they are not very INQ sensetive? So perhaps my originakl order of application is ok. I am hoping Fidelity does not freak out about all those recent INQ.

You are welcome.  If the Fidelity card is the most important, go for that one first and then Chase Freedom.  Report back with results if you do apply.

Message 4 of 10
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I just got a Chase Freedom, in their T&C it states that no points will be earned on wire transfer and other cash like transactions.  I am very doubtful that they would count Paypal as part of the Min Spend requirements.

How many Inqs are on your report now?

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

> If the Fidelity card is the most important, go for that one first and then Chase Freedom

Why? I thought that Chase was the most paranoid of them all? I thought Chase was the most strict of all this?

Is your experience that Fidelity is more strict than Chase? 2% everywhere is hard to beat, but so is 5%.

6 or 7. The last one was in 2014 for rental apartment.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

> If the Fidelity card is the most important, go for that one first and then Chase Freedom

Why? I thought that Chase was the most paranoid of them all? I thought Chase was the most strict of all this?

Is your experience that Fidelity is more strict than Chase? 2% everywhere is hard to beat, but so is 5%.

6 or 7. The last one was in 2014 for rental apartment.

I made that comment as it appeared the Fidelity card was the most important to you based on your post.  If you haven't applied for a card since 2013, a new inquiry gotten from a Chase card or a Fidelity card isn't going to make a difference when it comes to an approval for another card.

So it is all up to you...

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah I see. Tha's good to know. Next up is figuring out how to meet those spends. Simplest would be to signup for Banks but I would like to know processes that can be used ona  recurring basis (whichi throws out Paypal/Square/etc)

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I intend to apply for these 5 cards this week:

i. Chase Freedom
ii. Discover It
iii. Fidelity Investment Rewards
iv. Nusenda platinum cash rewards

My income is $120k/yr and my scores are:

Penfed FICO NG 2: 814
DCU (EQ): 759
CK: 799 (TU), 803 (EQ)
CS: 798 (TU)

AAoA: 4yr. Last application: 10/2013

Questions:

What cards do you currently have? What are your avg limits, and utilization?  Why are you quick to use 3 inquiries on 1 capital one product?  Also nusenda says you are only getting 5% on gas and groceries on $1500 for that quarter.  I mean unless you are already with them the most we are talking is $75 a quarter or $300 a year.....then again with your income, why not, you would have 3 category cards, that is not a bad setup either.  But you are already questioning how to meet the min spend $1000?  With your income I would assume you would have no problem in hitting min spend without paypal, just figure out what bills you can pay with the cards.

I say since you have basically no apps in > 24 months, chase is not going to be so picky, I would do the FIA card first...and of course I would pair the freedom app with an AARP app to enjoy 3% on gas/dining and most importantly $200 after $500 spend. Or the chase sapphire preferred for the bonus of course.

I would def evaluate your annual spending for the future, mix and match cash back and/or travel bonuses along with the cards with best rate of return.  If you are a big spender you might like the Old Blue Cash card, or penfed platinum.

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/nmefcu-5-cash-back-card-in-rotating-categories/

And of course read up heavily on themanwhocan's cash back charts.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

pasting this here to refer to:

i. Chase Freedom
ii. Discover It
iii. Fidelity Investment Rewards
iv. Nusenda platinum cash rewards

Your question was about order. Keep in mind that different lenders may pull different reports. For example for me (CA) Chase pulls EXP, Discover pulls EQ, and Fidelity (Elan) presumably pulls TU (that's what US Bank pulled for me). I have no idea on Nusenda and Cap One will pull all three. You can google credit pulls database and see what others have experienced in your state for the cards you're considering. I'd still prioritize the cards in the order of importance to you overall, but it's nice to know what to expect as far as what they pull. 

I too could question your reasons for these 5 cards overall and also all at once. However that's what's great about credit - I don't have to agree with or understand your reasons for getting the cards you want. And it's not what you asked, so I presume you've got your reasons.  Smiley Happy Good luck. 

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.