Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opting Out and CC Pre-Approvals

tag
getmycreditright
Regular Contributor

Opting Out and CC Pre-Approvals

I opted out maybe 6-9 months ago. Recently, I was on Discover's preapproval page and it said, "We currently do not have any offers for you at this time." Does this mean that my scores aren't good enough, or they cannot see my reports because I opted out? Any help is appreciated.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Starting Score - 575 (4/10)
Current Score - EQ - 750, TU - 752, EX - 728 11/4/12

Current Cards:
AMEX SPG ($7.5k), Amazon.com Visa ($3k), Discover More ($2k) all since 11/4/12

Fighting the good fight!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Juan123
Established Contributor

Re: Opting Out and CC Pre-Approvals

it doesn't mean anything, they just dont have pre-approved offers for you.

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I thought by opting out you can't get preapprovals.

Message 3 of 6
Juan123
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought by opting out you can't get preapprovals.

you wont get them in the mail.

Starting Score: 575 (As Of Early 2011)
Current Score: TU: 767 EQ: 732 EX; 742 (As Of Feb 2012)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Long way to go ^_^
Message 4 of 6
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

@getmycreditright wrote:

I opted out maybe 6-9 months ago. Recently, I was on Discover's preapproval page and it said, "We currently do not have any offers for you at this time." Does this mean that my scores aren't good enough, or they cannot see my reports because I opted out? Any help is appreciated.

The CRAs sell data mined from credit reports to lenders for their promotions. As an example say Discover was looking to improve their coverage of card holders in the mid-west using a set of factors:

#1 within a zip code range

#2 those with other 2 bank cards such as MC/V or AmEx but NO Discover card

#3 those with credit scores above 680 (would pre-qualify)

#4 those with credit scores above 720 (would be pre-approved)

There could be any number of "factors" used in the data collection, but the end result is a mailing list of names & addresses of those that fit the pre-qualify and the pre-approved criteria. Discover would then mail their promotion out to the mailing list and I would think they'd match up the offer to their web site approval area.

By "opting out" you are telling the CRAs that you are on the "No Call List" and they are not to include your data in any data mining sold or given to lenders for promotional purposes. A "freeze" on your credit report is different and I assume that it would also include an automatic "opt out" from data mining for promotional reasons.  

The fact that Discover's web site said they do not currently have any offers for you can be blamed on one of two reasons (really just one, the opt out) assuming they would have offered you something had you not opted out. #1 there are no current offers from data mining promotions or #2 you opted out. By opting out, you have told Discover not to include you in any membership promotions, which is why I said its really just one reason.

The good news is, if you qualify for a Discover Card (in this example) the fact there are no current promotions or offers which match up to your name, doesn't mean anything because you'll still be approved based on normal standards for approval (credit scores, income, etc), which of course would include any current membership drive promotions open to any new member.    

It's not as confusing as I probably made it sound.  Smiley Frustrated

Message 5 of 6
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

When you opt-out, you are preventing anyone from softing you, except for your current creditors. As a result, you will not receive any offers in the mail, nor will you be able to get pre-approval info from any websites. The one exception to that appears to be www.creditcards.com. I'm not sure why or how. But all other pre-approval sites will NOT work if you are opted out.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.