Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opting Out and CLIs

tag
ladydeac
New Contributor

Opting Out and CLIs

Does opting out prevent current credit card companies from softing you for periodic CLIs?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Opting Out and CLIs

@ladydeac wrote:

Does opting out prevent current credit card companies from softing you for periodic CLIs?

No, it only prevents current and new creditors from making a HP of your reports. 

Message 2 of 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ladydeac wrote:

No, it only prevents current and new creditors from making a HP of your reports. 

I think opting out prevents creditors from softing you for promitional purposes.  I don't think it prevents anyone from making a HP on your reports if you give them access.  It's not a security freeze.  You can still apply for credit with a new creditor or for a CLI with an existing creditor without opting back in.

Also, it doesn't prevent your current creditors from softing your account for account reviews. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@ladydeac wrote:

this isnt true. opting out prevents the cra's from selling your info for promotional purposes. it doesnt change by any means your relationship with your current creditors. you wont recieve cc offers in the mail anymore (well your not supposed to) and one thing ive noticed is that i cant get pre-qualified for any card on any website IE discover, amex, cap one and also eliminates most of the junk mail like car insurance

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rootpooty wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ladydeac wrote:

this isnt true. opting out prevents the cra's from selling your info for promotional purposes. it doesnt change by any means your relationship with your current creditors. you wont recieve cc offers in the mail anymore (well your not supposed to) and one thing ive noticed is that i cant get pre-qualified for any card on any website IE discover, amex, cap one and also eliminates most of the junk mail like car insurance

You're right.  I misspoke.  I was thinking OP question was about a credit freeze.   Opting out doesn't prevent current creditors from softing your reports.  I opted out years ago, and I can always expect to see soft pulls from AMEX every month.   

Message 5 of 8
ladydeac
New Contributor

Thanks for the responses.  And yes, my question was around whether I would still be able to get auto CLIs being offered if I was opted out.

Message 6 of 8
ladydeac
New Contributor

The main reason I opted out was so that sneaky CA's couldn't know when I have inquiries on my report.  I received a letter a while ago from a CA from a very old account, and they said they'd noticed I'd recently applied for credit....

Message 7 of 8
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

@ladydeac wrote:

The main reason I opted out was so that sneaky CA's couldn't know when I have inquiries on my report.  I received a letter a while ago from a CA from a very old account, and they said they'd noticed I'd recently applied for credit....

darn sharks lol. and no opting out wouldnt have anything to do with you recieving cli's whether they are auto or customer initiated. your current creditor can still soft you as much as they want

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.