Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options for Barclaycards

tag
odjohnson3
Regular Contributor

Options for Barclaycards

Hey everyone....Im hoping someone can chime in with some advice on what I can do to up the limits on these barclay accounts I got.

Barclay Cash Rewards. Its been open 2 years, never been late. I just paid off the balance of 2500. In the 2 years ive had this card, its never been granted a credit limit increase. I did manually apply once but I was denied since I had just got approved for a UPromise World Master Card through Barclays...Theyre reason being, we dont see why you need so much credit at one time SMH. My UPromise card has been open now for only 18 months.

So today I call to inquire about the Cash Rewards card and was told, if u were elgible, we would increase automatically...Any manual attempt will constitute a hard pull....I asked, about a product change and they said, they dont do product changes. Knowing this was not true, I asked for a supervisor...Instead I got another representative who then said, oh, we offer them but not for this card....It seems as if this card and the UPromise card both have been discontinued....All they keep insisting is to apply for a new card.....Im trying to stay away from that.

I read in another posts that moving one cards limit to another card can give u a greater limit, but, will it close one of the cards? Im starting to dislike Barclays more and more....Even with scores over 760 and perfect payment history, they wont soft pull....they just keep encouraging a new application....Why would I put one in when they discontinue cards every year "/

Any suggestions???

Has anyone got a soft pull credit limit increase???

Will combining cards close an account???

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

Re: Options for Barclaycards

You can move credit between cards very easily with Barclays.  Just call them up and ask.  You can either move the entire limit and close the donor card, or move part of it and keep it.  It's up to you.

As for product changes, they do them, but only to cards in the same brand family.  So if you have a JetBlue Plus card, you can change it to the no fee version.  Sometimes when they discontinue a card, they will auto PC it to one of their house brand cards, but they won't do that on demand.

Barclays does not do soft pull CLIs on demand.  If they offer it to you it's a soft pull, but if you ask for it they will hard pull.  You're almost always, with any bank, better off applying for a new account than asking for a HP CLI.

Just be glad they didn't CLD you after you paid off your balance. They seem to do that a lot.

Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can move credit around, yes.  They won't close the other card unless you want to.  If you want to keep the other card, they'll need to leave i least $500 CL on it to keep it open.

Barclays DOES have SP CLIs, but you need to have the offer in your account.  I got my Arrival to where it is by doing two SP CLIs since i got the card.  It is possible.

Message 3 of 14
odjohnson3
Regular Contributor

Ok, thank u very much for the info
Message 4 of 14
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Barclay was always the worst for me when it came to limits .Mine is finally decent, but it has taken several hp's, a couple sp's and an account combination over 5 years to get there .at least it is somewhat respectable now.

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 5 of 14
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Peteyglad wrote:

Barclay was always the worst for me when it came to limits .Mine is finally decent, but it has taken several hp's, a couple sp's and an account combination over 5 years to get there .at least it is somewhat respectable now.

Sallie Mae Rewards had low bonus caps, and Commence is garbage compared to the rest of your cards. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm guessing you weren't putting a lot of spend on either card to earn 1% cash when you had better alternatives.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 14
odjohnson3
Regular Contributor

Besides my balance transfers, I didn't use either card much...i paid them in full a few times, but I didn't use them regularly
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

if you will use one card more than the other, i would move the CL.
Message 8 of 14
kellymar
New Contributor

I have their Apple rewards card. I've had it for less than year. The original CL was $2500. I charged slightly over $1,000 and have been paying about $100/month at 0% interest. I haven't used the card for anything else. They just increased the limit to $3500, unsolicited. It was a soft pull. My scores are in the high 600s/low 700s. Hope that helps.

Nov. 2013 FICO scores: EQ 565 | EX 536 | TU 539
October 2014 FICO Scores: EQ 635 EX 639 | TU 667
Goal: 700s across the board and a Chase SW Visa!
Gardening indefinitely
Message 9 of 14
gabeerwin
Contributor

@kellymar wrote:

I have their Apple rewards card. I've had it for less than year. The original CL was $2500. I charged slightly over $1,000 and have been paying about $100/month at 0% interest. I haven't used the card for anything else. They just increased the limit to $3500, unsolicited. It was a soft pull. My scores are in the high 600s/low 700s. Hope that helps.

I wish I was as lucky... I have had the card since Sept and used it like a mad man.  I started with $2000 and it sits at $2000.  My scores are approximately where yours are. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.