Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Options on a closed Citi card?

tag
nickbrodie
Established Member

Options on a closed Citi card?

I have a citi card that they closed on me 2 years ago for lack of use.  When they closed it they lowered the credit limit from $1,000 to $500.  I had not lates or high balances at the time and just did not use the card for even small things.  Part of the challenge is that this just sits there at a $500 CL and I cannot do anything to have it help me such as reopen it and eventually raise the CL through periodic good use.

Question is, if I ask them to reopen the card, will they do a hard pull?  any other hidden danger in trying to revive this and put it to work for me?  Or should I just leave this sit there for another 5 years?

Any suggestions?

TU Starting Score (09/23/10): 682 | EQ Starting Score (09/23/10): 697
TU Current Score (10/16/2010): 721 | EQ Current Score (10/16/2010): 735
TU & EQ Goal Score: 761

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Options on a closed Citi card?

@nickbrodie wrote:

I have a citi card that they closed on me 2 years ago for lack of use.  When they closed it they lowered the credit limit from $1,000 to $500.  I had not lates or high balances at the time and just did not use the card for even small things.  Part of the challenge is that this just sits there at a $500 CL and I cannot do anything to have it help me such as reopen it and eventually raise the CL through periodic good use.

Question is, if I ask them to reopen the card, will they do a hard pull?  any other hidden danger in trying to revive this and put it to work for me?  Or should I just leave this sit there for another 5 years?

Any suggestions?

you usually can't re-open cards after 30 days.  You had them before though, why not get  a new card with them, with probably a higher limit.

Message 2 of 10
nickbrodie
Established Member

@Creditaddict wrote:

you usually can't re-open cards after 30 days.  You had them before though, why not get  a new card with them, with probably a higher limit.

Thanks.  I am trying to avoid adding another card to the mix and also do not want a hard pull.  Since this card is there and can either count against me or for me, I am hoping there is a way to make it work for me.

Message 3 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@nickbrodie wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Thanks.  I am trying to avoid adding another card to the mix and also do not want a hard pull.  Since this card is there and can either count against me or for me, I am hoping there is a way to make it work for me.

why would it be counting against you?

Message 4 of 10
nickbrodie
Established Member

@Creditaddict wrote:

@nickbrodie wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

Low credit limit of only $500.  1 extra revolving account that I am not using.  If they closed it but had a credit limit of $10,000 I wouldn't care as much...

Message 5 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@nickbrodie wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@nickbrodie wrote:

Low credit limit of only $500.  1 extra revolving account that I am not using.  If they closed it but had a credit limit of $10,000 I wouldn't care as much...

Oh, shoot, plenty of us have old, closed cards with low CL's. That's why we closed them! Smiley Very Happy

They don't "count against you" in any manner.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 10
nickbrodie
Established Member

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Oh, shoot, plenty of us have old, closed cards with low CL's. That's why we closed them! Smiley Very Happy

They don't "count against you" in any manner.

When I total up my credit availability vs credit utilization, the only way I get to the correct credit availability amount is by including this closed card.  I must be missing something.  Maybe I should have learned that new math!  Smiley Wink  

If it really does not count then I guess this is not an issue...

Message 7 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Is there still a balance on the card? And it shows as closed, right?

That's very odd. It should be excluded, unless there's still a balance.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 10
nickbrodie
Established Member

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

Is there still a balance on the card? And it shows as closed, right?

That's very odd. It should be excluded, unless there's still a balance.

No balance.  I rarely used it.  They closed it because I had not used it in almost 2 years.

Message 9 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

That is strange, indeed. That reminds me of some of my older TU reports, where I never, ever could get the math to work. And their util figures changed every time, even when the balances and CL's didn't. I started wondering if they had their finger on the scale or something. Smiley Tongue

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.