Established Member

Orchard Bank/HSBC

I applied for the HSBC American Dreamcard featured on this site under the credit card finder and I was declined. Is it safe to say that since HSBC declined me for this card I shouldnt apply for an orchard card?
Senior Contributor

Re: Orchard Bank/HSBC

Not necessarily. Follow the process found here:

http://www.orchardbank.com/ecare/homepage/ourappprocess

to see if they have a pre-app for you. If they do you can then decide whether you want to app for it or not.

Frequent Contributor

creditwherecreditisdue wrote:

Not necessarily. Follow the process found here:

http://www.orchardbank.com/ecare/homepage/ourappprocess

to see if they have a pre-app for you. If they do you can then decide whether you want to app for it or not.

Not sure about with Orchard, but with HSBC that pre-app tool can sometimes suck.  I've seen where it indicates qualification for a certain card, and then the app is declined for a long list of reasons.  Personally I think they shouldn't be able to do that.
Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi, I applied for an Orchard card with them on 9/23/09. I was offered a $500 limit, $59 annual fee, and 16.99 interest rate. These were terms that were hard to take but I swallowed them because I am rebuilding after all and considered a risk. However, today when I received the card, I read the fine print and saw that it was $500 limit, $69 annual fee, and 19.99 interest rate. I called them up and asked why they did a switch on me and some guy who could barely speak English said they are raising ALL of their interest rates effective 9.30.09, after I applied. If I wanted the card, I had to accept it on their terms because it was "based on my credit". Not sure what happened in those 7 days which forced them to charge me an extra $10 on annual fee and 3% on interest rate....I can't see anything other than greed. 

I have read differing opinions on this board that this is a card that may/may not grow with you, so I was willing to take the chance because I am going to keep the balance low and pay it off quickly so I didn't want to quibble on an interest rate that won't really apply.

Just beware!

Best wishes. 

Message Edited by Missy_Bell on 10-02-2009 04:47 PM
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.