Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orchard Bank and car rentals

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Orchard Bank and car rentals

I have a small, $300 limit on my Orchard Bank credit card, and I am planning on renting a car in a couple of weeks for $380 total.

My question is: can I create a credit balance of $100 on my account to pay for the rental, or will the transaction be declined because the limit is only set at $300?

Thanks for any help.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: Orchard Bank and car rentals

I have been in a similar situation (different cc).

I called customer service and explained what I needed to do.  They made a note on the account of what was going on.  Then they temporarily raised my credit limit to reflect the "current credit limit plus the credit".

What I learned was that having a "credit" on the account does not mean you can spend more than the "credit limit".

I would suggest calling the car rental place and asking how much of an authorization they put on a credit card.  It may be higher than the price of the car rental. 

Good luck! 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for this information!
Message 3 of 5
IOBA
Senior Contributor

No problem.

How did Orchard Bank respond?

How much did the car rental company want to "hold" on your cc?  How much higher than the price of the car rental was it? 

Message 4 of 5
hawkeye33
Regular Contributor

Also, how long have you had the Orchard card? You could also use the back door number on this site and call to request a CLI. I wouldn't expect great things (my scores have improved by around 50 points since I first got my Orchard, and they still are not really eager to give me more than $100 at a time), but at least it would get you over the base cost of the rental.

In addition, some cards charge a fee to get the CLI, but I have not been charged by Orchard for either of mine, and both resulted in a soft pull.

If they offer you $100, ask them if you can request more for a hard pull (if your scores have improved since you got the card and you think they might see you more favorably than previously).

Good luck.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.