cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orchard Bank just tried to Save me?

Valued Contributor

Orchard Bank just tried to Save me?

So I called the 503 #  on the back of the card, so that I could cancel it.

 

The short of the long, is I was transferred to a US based CS, after being initially routed to Peggy.  I advised that I wished to cancel the card, at which point she asked why. I simply said I was wishing to consolidate accounts, and I no longer needed my Orchard Card.  She said she respected my decision, but wanted to offer me some things, to perhaps get me to stay?

 

She offered to increase my CL, but without a guarantee on the amount.  She offered to waive the AF that was coming up next month. She offered to enable a 2% cash back on all purchases.

 

Did something recently change w/ them?  This is a first...

 

In the end, I closed the account, because she couldn't tell me if it was a SP or HP.  Past CLI request was a SP.  Had she stated SP, I would have gone through with it, and dependent upon the amount, I would have possibly kept the card.

 

Surprisingly though - of all the save tactics she used, she didn't put me on hold to find out the SP or HP, as I clearly made that my only real issue with moving forward.

 

Oh well.  I didn't ask for anything, and they offered me a bunch.  Anyone else get this recently?

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014 750+
3/2017 780+
5/2017 800+
Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES
New Contributor

Re: Orchard Bank just tried to Save me?

Sort of. I had 2 Orchard Bank cards.. one with a $500 limit was the second one. I paid it off, sock drawered it for a couple of months, and then called to close it. I asked if they could raise my other OB card's limit to match the one that I was closing. They got close - bumped up the first OB card by $400, and closed the $500 one with no problems. I've actually been happy with their CS, the interest rate isn't bad, they reported to the bureaus quickly, and the OB card is now my oldest active credit card and has a $1600 limit. I'm going to be keeping it around for a while.. .at least to see what Capital One does to them. I like calling a number in Portland, OR and getting someone friendly on the phone right away.

Yes, I said it. I'm a happy Orchard Bank customer. :-)

Creditkeeper 6/12
TU: 678
EQ: 665
EX: 673
Walmart FICO: 680 (6/12)
Message 2 of 20
Valued Contributor

Re: Orchard Bank just tried to Save me?

2% cash back is good.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 20
Moderator

Re: Orchard Bank just tried to Save me?

It's now Capital One, they've probably completely changed the incentive program.

 

Personally I would've bent over backwards (and certainly taken a HP) for 2% cash back on all purchases.  I am sort of confused on your anti-HP stance as you just opened up a Zync recently anyway and if you have one recent inquiry, you might as well take a second for a good offer.  Speaking of which, 2% on all > Zync for any non-pack-special purchase, and equivalent on some pack purchases too.

 

It doesn't matter in the long run, call it 2 years from now, but for where you're at from a credit strata perspective, they offered you a very sweet deal.

 

.  

 

Starting Score: EQ 5 561, TU 98 567, EX 2 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 5 771, TU 4 758, EX 2 758, EQ 8 795, TU 8 762, EX 8 786 (7/28/17)
Goal Score:    EQ 5 750, TU 4 750, EX 2 750, EQ 8 800, TU 8 Blah, EX 8 800 (01/01/18)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 20
Valued Contributor

Re: Orchard Bank just tried to Save me?


Revelate wrote:

It's now Capital One, they've probably completely changed the incentive program.

 

Personally I would've bent over backwards (and certainly taken a HP) for 2% cash back on all purchases.  I am sort of confused on your anti-HP stance as you just opened up a Zync recently anyway and if you have one recent inquiry, you might as well take a second for a good offer.  Speaking of which, 2% on all > Zync for any non-pack-special purchase, and equivalent on some pack purchases too.

 

It doesn't matter in the long run, call it 2 years from now, but for where you're at from a credit strata perspective, they offered you a very sweet deal.

 

.  

 


No. I was ok with the HP, but not if it was going to be for a $100 CLI. Current CL was only $420 after 2 years.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014 750+
3/2017 780+
5/2017 800+
Message 5 of 20
Moderator

Re: Orchard Bank just tried to Save me?

If it were just a CLI of $100 I'd agree; however, the deal was 2% cash back too Smiley Wink.  That would've made it the best card in your current credit portfolio if I remember your tradelines correctly from your other posts... people are far too inquiry sensitive on this forum as a whole I think.

 

 

Starting Score: EQ 5 561, TU 98 567, EX 2 599 (12/30/11)
Current Score: EQ 5 771, TU 4 758, EX 2 758, EQ 8 795, TU 8 762, EX 8 786 (7/28/17)
Goal Score:    EQ 5 750, TU 4 750, EX 2 750, EQ 8 800, TU 8 Blah, EX 8 800 (01/01/18)


Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 20
Valued Contributor

Re: Orchard Bank just tried to Save me?

The 2% would've gotten me as well.  You can't really get that anywhere these days, with a card, without some strings attached.  As long as you're happy with your decision, that's all that matters!  At least they tried to keep you!

11/30/08 TU 648 EX 672 EQ 656 SEPT 2014 TU 787 EX 789 EQ ???
Amex BCP $24.1K/Clear $8.5- Sallie Mae $27.5 -Cap One QS $7.5 - Chase Freedom $7.5/United $5k/CSP $20k/Ink- Citi DP $9.5/Dividend $13k/HHHx2 $15k/16.4/Reserve $4.5k Best Buy $1940 HD $1701- Discover IT $15k - Elan $8k GEMB Lowes $20k - Macy's $2k - Kohl's $800




Starting Score: 648
Current Score: 736
Goal Score: 765


Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 7 of 20
Contributor

Re: Orchard Bank just tried to Save me?


Revelate wrote:

... people are far too inquiry sensitive on this forum as a whole I think.

 

 


+1

Message 8 of 20
Established Contributor

Re: Orchard Bank just tried to Save me?

I would've taken it for the 2% too, could've always cancelled later. I see a lot of customers close their accounts out of anger or some other emotion just to call back a far hours later to ask for it to be re-opened. Sometimes a manager can with no issues, sometimes it requires re-pulling credit and sometimes there is nothing we can do. My current mngr is fairly new so he's eager to reopen them but every CC company is different.
-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 9 of 20
Frequent Contributor

Re: Orchard Bank just tried to Save me?


jordanmedical wrote:
I would've taken it for the 2% too, could've always cancelled later. I see a lot of customers close their accounts out of anger or some other emotion just to call back a far hours later to ask for it to be re-opened. Sometimes a manager can with no issues, sometimes it requires re-pulling credit and sometimes there is nothing we can do. My current mngr is fairly new so he's eager to reopen them but every CC company is different.

Which company are you speaking of?

Message 10 of 20