Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Orchard - CLI info

tag
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

Orchard - CLI info

I just called Orchard today. I explained to the CSR that when I activated my card back in August, I was told that after six months I would be eligible to be reviewed for a CLI. My sixth statement just posted yesterday, so I was calling to request such a review. She told me that they are undergoing a change in their computer systems and that they would be reviewing accounts for CLIs starting March 21. She told me that my account has been beautifully managed, and if I call back after March 21 that they would be happy to put in the request. I don't know if this is true or if it's just a song and dance, but I thought that  I'd pass along the date I was given to my fellow FICO folks.

As for those who have recently closed their accounts, I don't blame you. I don't expect this card to grow much over time, even if I do get a CLI. But, it's doing its job of rebuilding for me, so I am happy that it is serving its intended purpose. Eventually I hope to be able to move on to something better and cancel it, too.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
lakerfan2011
Regular Contributor

Re: Orchard - CLI info

i have been trying to get increases since feb of last year and they said for the last year that they are not doing them i even gave this to the presidents office twice and they never told me a date of march but they are supposed to call me back on monday and i will ask them and i will let you know what they say

Message 2 of 13
trappedatuf

You would think that a card that helps people rebuild would want to leverage all that history and try and save some of it's clients and push them into a higher limit card. I've had the Orchard Bank 2% Gold card for over 6 years! I started with a $300 CL and then, I think two years into it and after being told they are not offering CLI's several times, they upped it to $500. Recently I called to complain about the annual fee and they bumped it to $800 a few months back. I was just frustrated with this card and figured I don't need this low limit haunting me, so I called and cancelled it today. Of course I tried one last ditch CLI request and got denied! I have good FICO scores (I applied and got an AmEx Platinum right after I closed this) so it just seems Orchard Bank is very near-sighted and just expects people to close these accounts and move on one day. I personally think it's a stupid business model, right?!?

Message 3 of 13
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@trappedatuf wrote:

You would think that a card that helps people rebuild would want to leverage all that history and try and save some of it's clients and push them into a higher limit card. I've had the Orchard Bank 2% Gold card for over 6 years! I started with a $300 CL and then, I think two years into it and after being told they are not offering CLI's several times, they upped it to $500. Recently I called to complain about the annual fee and they bumped it to $800 a few months back. I was just frustrated with this card and figured I don't need this low limit haunting me, so I called and cancelled it today. Of course I tried one last ditch CLI request and got denied! I have good FICO scores (I applied and got an AmEx Platinum right after I closed this) so it just seems Orchard Bank is very near-sighted and just expects people to close these accounts and move on one day. I personally think it's a stupid business model, right?!?

Not really.  They fully expect customers to move on, they have low limits and typically high fees.  Most of their customers don't spend a lot on their credit cards anyway, so this is how they maximize profitability without having to keep a large sum of money around to cover the increased exposure of higher CL's across their customer base.

It's the same business model as Cap One's subprime division, just C1 had some prime products as well; now with the merger there's really no reason for C1 to change those cards out.  Note C1's reluctance to PC around products too for similar reasons, high fee + low limit = profit with low risk exposure.

        
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah they stay low! I'm at a $400 limit starting from $300. It's been almost two years since I opened it and they won't give me any more CLIs. I think that as soon as it ages to two years, I'll try to get their AF refunded and then close it out. Might as well get a 2-year old account out of it since I'm so close. 

Message 5 of 13
sewmuchdebt
Regular Contributor

i just called orchard and asked for a credit limit increase. she asked for my yearly income and if i would let them check my credit. i agreed. i got a 250.00 increase. so now my limit is 1150.00. i will wait and see what kind of alert i get whether or not it was a hard or soft pull.

Starting Score: EQ 505 jul09
Current Score: EQ 702 TU 693 EX 692 apr12
Goal Score: 700+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 13
trappedatuf

Just enough to string you along, right! :-)  Actually I was at $800 and if they gave me the $250 I would be at $1050 and probably would have stayed. But based on your scores of right at 700 it's redic that you only have a $1150 CL! I would recommend closing this card like I did (it has already help you) and apply for something better with a higher CL that will help your utilization and just be overall more useful.

Just to clarify, I read that even though you close a card it's age counts toward your average age of accounts (AAoA) for 10 years after closing. I'm not sure if this is correct, can anyone verify? The only reason I left this card open was because of it's age and not wanting to hurt my AAoA, but if what I read was true then there should have been NO hestitation on my part for closing my Orchard Bank card!

Message 7 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@trappedatuf wrote:

Just enough to string you along, right! :-)  Actually I was at $800 and if they gave me the $250 I would be at $1050 and probably would have stayed. But based on your scores of right at 700 it's redic that you only have a $1150 CL! I would recommend closing this card like I did (it has already help you) and apply for something better with a higher CL that will help your utilization and just be overall more useful.

Just to clarify, I read that even though you close a card it's age counts toward your average age of accounts (AAoA) for 10 years after closing. I'm not sure if this is correct, can anyone verify? The only reason I left this card open was because of it's age and not wanting to hurt my AAoA, but if what I read was true then there should have been NO hestitation on my part for closing my Orchard Bank card!

This is correct. Closed accounts will still help your AAoA and credit length history for (generally) 10 years after being closed.

You can go here to read more about Closing Credit Cards.

Message 8 of 13
trappedatuf

That's EXCELLENT news MarineVietVet! That means I will also close my National City/PNC Secured card. I funded it with $5k and was just keeping it for AAoA but now I'll just get another unsecured credit card with a limit higher than that probably (based on my scores) and I'll be able to not have that $5k tied up doing nothing with it!  :-)

Not to take this topic off-course more, but I've been reading and some people suggest BoA cc and others suggest Chase cc to grow with you. What would you recommend? I want a card that will give me a good high limit and then won't be adverse to CLI's in the future as my score and history with them gets better and better. I don't want a capped out card since one day I would like to have $50k/$100k limits (if that's even possible these days)!

Message 9 of 13
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@trappedatuf wrote:

That's EXCELLENT news MarineVietVet! That means I will also close my National City/PNC Secured card. I funded it with $5k and was just keeping it for AAoA but now I'll just get another unsecured credit card with a limit higher than that probably (based on my scores) and I'll be able to not have that $5k tied up doing nothing with it!  :-)

Not to take this topic off-course more, but I've been reading and some people suggest BoA cc and others suggest Chase cc to grow with you. What would you recommend? I want a card that will give me a good high limit and then won't be adverse to CLI's in the future as my score and history with them gets better and better. I don't want a capped out card since one day I would like to have $50k/$100k limits (if that's even possible these days)!

I will leave recommendations to others. My youngest card is over 5 years old and I don't keep up on the latest news about cards like I used to. I have no doubt you'll receive plenty of advice about this.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.