tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Ouch Cap1.... 3 pulls?

@wacdenney wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

You guys need to remember that bulk of Capital One's business is from subprime credit card lending (high risk).

They also pull Innovis, ARS, and IDA.

I think this is the gist of it.  If you are a sub-prime lender it makes sense to pull all three.  As if anybody needs one more reason to avoid Crap 1.

Except for those of us who are pretty happy with Cap One!  Quicksilver really is a good card.

What would you use it for?  I guess if you happen to travel over seas alot and don't have a better no FTF card maybe??

How many normal people really travel as much as you do though?

Fortunately, not everybody aims to be "normal"....

Message 21 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

You guys need to remember that bulk of Capital One's business is from subprime credit card lending (high risk).

I think this is the gist of it.  If you are a sub-prime lender it makes sense to pull all three.  As if anybody needs one more reason to avoid Crap 1.

Except for those of us who are pretty happy with Cap One!  Quicksilver really is a good card.

What would you use it for?  I guess if you happen to travel over seas alot and don't have a better no FTF card maybe??

And actually its major use for me has been non-category  spending at places that don't take Amex, and a handful of foreign web sites.  

Yes, double cash might replace this some, but: to get a decent CL on that, some had to have an additional pull (on the same agency) and if they were double pulled to begin with, that's the same.

Still like the no minimum redeption and the instant posting, it's a real pain getting to $50 on the Citi Dividend

Message 22 of 28
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

@trumpet-205 wrote:

And actually its major use for me has been non-category  spending at places that don't take Amex, and a handful of foreign web sites.  

Yes, double cash might replace this some, but: to get a decent CL on that, some had to have an additional pull (on the same agency) and if they were double pulled to begin with, that's the same.

Still like the no minimum redeption and the instant posting, it's a real pain getting to $50 on the Citi Dividend

I have heard there are some areas where lots of places do not accept AMEX.  I have never really ever ran into many.  There is one place in my town, but it's a food place so I wouldn't be using Fidelity AMEX there anyway.

I do agree the easy redemption was nice, but I rarely found myself in a situation where I needed to redeem less then the standard $25 anyway and even at $50 on Fidelity it's no big deal to me.  I certainly wouldn't take on a Cap1 product just for the easy redemption especially given the headache involved when dealing with Cap1 "customer service". 

I have noticed there is a small minority that Cap1 treats well and I am assuming you fall into this minority.  That's great for you, but IMO for the vast majority of those outside the sub-prime market there really isn't much that Cap1 could possibly offer that would make dealing with them acceptable. 

The three pulls aren't even the worst part.  Given their target market I can sortof understand why they do that.  It's the way they treat you after you are a customer that is appalling.  Being in the minority, I assume you haven't experienced it.  Thank your lucky stars for that!

Message 23 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Oh, I agree that dealing with Cap One service isn't always a pleasure, and they certainly score less well than some others (Amex and Discover) they score above Citi and GE.

See http://www.jdpower.com/press-releases/2014-us-credit-card-satisfaction-study

But since I've asked for CLIs only once in 14 years, that doesn't bother me much.  The time I needed them, for a charge back, they were very good, and for every issuer, you can find people who have had bad experiences (e.g. my last one with Amex was a total waste of time)

Message 24 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

My current Quicksilver is an upgraded card from Capital One that used to be some horrible little card with a high APR but it is one of my oldest. I think this application is for a newer version. In hindsight, had I not imbibe adult beverages, I would've just asked for a product change. Then again, doesn't that change your age of account, at least with Capital One?

Message 25 of 28
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

My current Quicksilver is an upgraded card from Capital One that used to be some horrible little card with a high APR but it is one of my oldest. I think this application is for a newer version. In hindsight, had I not imbibe adult beverages, I would've just asked for a product change. Then again, doesn't that change your age of account, at least with Capital One?

No.  You retain the history.   My QS1 was a former Household Bank CC that I opened back in March 2011.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 26 of 28
undrtkr65
Frequent Contributor

I knew they pulled all three so i just froze 2 of them and still was approved for the secured card. I'm trying to rebuild my credit so was happy to get a approval.

Message 27 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@undrtkr65 wrote:

I knew they pulled all three so i just froze 2 of them and still was approved for the secured card. I'm trying to rebuild my credit so was happy to get a approval.

See?  I speculated that would be the case, before.  Since they don't have a sound reason to pull three pulls from everybody, if they can only access one they will proceed with one.  If you are borderline, they may ask you to unfreeze another one, but then it would be your choice.

Message 28 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.