cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ouch, Discover!

Frequent Contributor

Ouch, Discover!

My 6th statement cut yesterday.  Unlike a few members here, my CL wasn't bumped up today, so I decided to call in.  I know they pull TU and I only have 2 inqs in the past year on that report.  I wanted to get my line up to $5000 from $3000, so I figured I could burn a hard pull.  I generally put anywhere between $100 and $1100/month on the card.

 

It couldn't be approved over the phone with a soft pull I said they could HP me and they forwarded me to a credit analyst.  I only got a $500 bump Smiley Sad  She said it was because out of my 6 statements, only 4 months of them had a posted balance.  I made charges the other 2 months but paid off before the statement cut.  When I brought up that I still made charges on the card, she said they weren't really looking for purchases, they were looking for "balance activity."

 

Definitely bummed.  Hopefully I'll have better luck with a CLI from Amex in July.

TU: 771 (7/17/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 792 (7/17/17)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $34,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013)
Message 1 of 50
49 REPLIES
Valued Contributor

Re: Ouch, Discover!

Sorry about that because that just sucks to have an HP for $500 CLI.  Discover is unpredictable IMO.

 

Hmmm but on another note....I seriously have often wondered about this same thing of PIF by the reporting period for a zero balance.  All that I've read seemed like it didn't matter but I've always still had a question about that in the back of mind.  I was always wondering could they *see* anything with a zero statement.  When I say *they* I mean any creditor.  I guess this just reiterates the fact to only PIF just before you're ready to app.  


Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 2 of 50
Established Contributor

Re: Ouch, Discover!

ok so this my a seem like a stupid ?... but, so If I charge 500 on my card let the staement cut.. then PIF...then charge another 500 and do this over again... wont it seem like I haven't PIF;d and am making little payments?? Thanks for the information this is very useful to me for next time. Srry aout your CLI success, it's hard to think yur doing the right thing to maximize your total CLI andthen get a small amount.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 3 of 50
Mega Contributor

Re: Ouch, Discover!

Hmmm......

I never leave a balance either.....I dont wanna leave a balance tho.




EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 50
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

Re: Ouch, Discover!


LS2982 wrote:
Hmmm......

I never leave a balance either.....I dont wanna leave a balance tho.


And if I remember correctly, you haven't gotten love from Discover either, right?

TU: 771 (7/17/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 792 (7/17/17)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $34,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013)
Message 5 of 50
Valued Contributor

Re: Ouch, Discover!


migliogiorni wrote:

ok so this my a seem like a stupid ?... but, so If I charge 500 on my card let the staement cut.. then PIF...then charge another 500 and do this over again... wont it seem like I haven't PIF;d and am making little payments?? Thanks for the information this is very useful to me for next time. Srry aout your CLI success, it's hard to think yur doing the right thing to maximize your total CLI andthen get a small amount.


Absolutely not because if you didn't PIF your balance would increase by 500 bucks per month.  So after 1 year your balance would be $6K with 500 X 12.  


Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 6 of 50
Valued Contributor

Re: Ouch, Discover!


isoldmyatlas wrote:

LS2982 wrote:
Hmmm......

I never leave a balance either.....I dont wanna leave a balance tho.


And if I remember correctly, you haven't gotten love from Discover either, right?


Well this very well could be the problem LS!!!


Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 7 of 50
Established Contributor

Re: Ouch, Discover!


isoldmyatlas wrote:

My 6th statement cut yesterday.  Unlike a few members here, my CL wasn't bumped up today, so I decided to call in.  I know they pull TU and I only have 2 inqs in the past year on that report.  I wanted to get my line up to $5000 from $3000, so I figured I could burn a hard pull.  I generally put anywhere between $100 and $1100/month on the card.

 

It couldn't be approved over the phone with a soft pull I said they could HP me and they forwarded me to a credit analyst.  I only got a $500 bump Smiley Sad  She said it was because out of my 6 statements, only 4 months of them had a posted balance.  I made charges the other 2 months but paid off before the statement cut.  When I brought up that I still made charges on the card, she said they weren't really looking for purchases, they were looking for "balance activity."

 

Definitely bummed.  Hopefully I'll have better luck with a CLI from Amex in July.


This is definitely an important peice of information. I know you're bummed about the poor increase for an HP, but we have learned a valuable lesson here. Let balances cut, then PIF. Since there's a grace period you don't pay interest. You will take a hit with your scores, but that's just a util-related hit. easily fixed the following month or the month after by not leeting a balance report.


DCU ( pulled 3/29/13) EQ04 683 | Amex (pulled 3/28/13) EX 760 | US Bank (pulled 3/28/13) EX 753
CreditKarma (4/19/13) TU-TR 701 | TU Vantage 788 | USAA FAKO (3/31/13) EX 728, EQ 699, TU 737 |
Inquiries (4/18/13) EX 13 | EQ 13 | TU 14
Message 8 of 50
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ouch, Discover!

My Discover Card Activity looks something like this over the last 6 months

 

Balance Reported

Purchases

Payments

0

62.34

62.34

112

1097.30

985

1578

1578

112

193

1094

2480

53

4420

4563

0

1465

1554

In my opinion, Discover is not one of those lenders who rewards you for really paying before statement cuts.  I got an awesome CLI in Feb.  from 5k > 13.5k


Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!



Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 50
Frequent Contributor

Re: Ouch, Discover!


NJTurnpike wrote:

isoldmyatlas wrote:

My 6th statement cut yesterday.  Unlike a few members here, my CL wasn't bumped up today, so I decided to call in.  I know they pull TU and I only have 2 inqs in the past year on that report.  I wanted to get my line up to $5000 from $3000, so I figured I could burn a hard pull.  I generally put anywhere between $100 and $1100/month on the card.

 

It couldn't be approved over the phone with a soft pull I said they could HP me and they forwarded me to a credit analyst.  I only got a $500 bump Smiley Sad  She said it was because out of my 6 statements, only 4 months of them had a posted balance.  I made charges the other 2 months but paid off before the statement cut.  When I brought up that I still made charges on the card, she said they weren't really looking for purchases, they were looking for "balance activity."

 

Definitely bummed.  Hopefully I'll have better luck with a CLI from Amex in July.


This is definitely an important peice of information. I know you're bummed about the poor increase for an HP, but we have learned a valuable lesson here. Let balances cut, then PIF. Since there's a grace period you don't pay interest. You will take a hit with your scores, but that's just a util-related hit. easily fixed the following month or the month after by not leeting a balance report.


Yup, that's exactly why I shared it.  Even if I didn't really benefit from this, it can definitely help someone else who's wondering how to get an increase from them!

TU: 771 (7/17/17) | EQ: 787 (7/17/17) | EX: 792 (7/17/17)

Cap1 Quicksilver, $4,750 (4/2012); Discover IT, $34,000 (10/2012); Chase Amazon Rewards, $14,600 (10/2012); AMEX Hilton HHonors, $15,000 (11/2012); AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $15,000 (01/2013); Barclaycard Arrival+, $10,000 (07/2013)
Message 10 of 50