Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Our own accounts vs. joint accounts

tag
Jesi
New Contributor

Our own accounts vs. joint accounts

So my husband and I are trying to rebuild our credit. We spent about 10 years trying to get ANYTHING. Always always always denied. I didn't know about the shopping cart trick and we were always denied when applying for anything. Praise Credit One Bank. The fees suck, the limits suck, but that card saved us. Since we got that card we've been able to get Capital One cards and some store cards as well as refinancing our auto loan.

We were in a rut for about a year after we got the Credit One and Capital Ones we couldn't get approved for anything more still. The shopping cart trick helped us get a few store cards last summer so now we are working on keeping them in good standing so our scores come up. We both have Victoria's Secret and Express. I have a few on my own because they are women's stores he will never step foot in and I rarely do anyhow. My question is, is it better to have our own cards like Victoria's Secret or is it better to just have one of us get it and make the other an authrorized user? I'm seeing a trend here with these cards they all have rewards, points, or something like that and it seems stupid to have two separate accounts because it will take longer to build points. Some of these stores only allow earning for periods then you lose what you don't use. That sucks.

Furthermore, if it's ok to have one person and another authorized is it possible for us to merge the Victoria's Secret and Express cards into just one joint account? Is that something that these banks usually allow? Neither one of us has used the Express cards, we really never shop there, we were just trying to build credit. I have never shopped at Victoria's Secret before because I prefer Aerie. I bought a few things because I had coupons so my card has a little bit of use, my husband's is empty. He will never shop there, I don't wear lingerie and I have more than enough underwear and bras so gifts are not necessary...

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Our own accounts vs. joint accounts

I just found this post when searching for information on joint accounts.  I'm sorry nobody ever replied.  My understanding is Commenity, who services Express and Victoria's Secret, does not combine store card accounts.  Whether it helps to add eachother as an authorized user depends on your files.  My husband and I have added eachother to every card we can, but maybe that hurts our AAoA.

Message 2 of 3
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Re: Our own accounts vs. joint accounts

It's not for everyone and there are risks involved when adding AU's to accounts. But if you know what you are doing it would work.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.