Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of state/remote CUs

tag
SPreb
Regular Contributor

Out of state/remote CUs

What do you guys think about using out of state vs local CUs? I am not eligible for NFCU, but was looking at DCU, Alliant. I live in FL. Suncoast schools seems to be a good one, but I am not eligible for that one either. I got a couple of positive response to one of my earlier posts about GTE. so that's another option. I am looking at both banking and CC. Also which ones would be friendly to my scores?

Starting Score: 620 Current Score: 709 Goal Score: 720
Gardening from 9/28/2013. Target: March 2014
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Out of state/remote CUs

I live in Ca and I'm a member of both Alliant and DCU.
Message 2 of 12
SPreb
Regular Contributor

Do both of them pull EQ? How easy/difficult are they? I have one disputed 4 year old CO. other than that everything is clean. Score in my sig is EQ. TU is very similar. 1inq on EQ from last oct. 4 on TU, 3 recent (July). Thanks

Message 3 of 12
SPreb
Regular Contributor

------bump--------

Message 4 of 12
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

@SPreb wrote:
Do both of them pull EQ? How easy/difficult are they? I have one disputed 4 year old CO. other than that everything is clean. Score in my sig is EQ. TU is very similar. 1inq on EQ from last oct. 4 on TU, 3 recent (July). Thanks

For me personally alliant pulled my EX. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 5 of 12
Katzen
Established Member

I have DCU and love it. I used to live in MA which is when I initially opened the account but have since moved to Texas and haven't had any problems. Customer service is great imo, I rarely have to wait more than a few minutes... and if I do they have a feature to request a call back so you don't have to actually wait, they call you back when you are next in line.

I haven't used their credit services though. I was able to get 0% interest on my auto loan so there was no point in financing through DCU, and their CCs don't seem like anything special to me, although they do have good reviews.

Their smartphone app works great too.

Message 6 of 12
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

Both SDFCU and PenFed were local at the time that I applied for membership.  Now there are quite far away, but I haven't noticed.  I don't have banking accounts with either, though.  Although, the bank that I do use, USAA, has no branches (except for maybe 1 in Texas), and it has offered far better banking services than any bank big or small that I have yet found or heard of.  USAA is not a credit union, but it is member owned and operates just like a CU.  If you are looking for a loan or credit card, you have a shot at either SDFCU or a USAA card, although SDFCU will be very picky manually reviewing your application for about a week before you get any notification of approval... they might even ask you to sign paper documents or verify previous addresses on your credit reports.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 7 of 12
SPreb
Regular Contributor

thanks guys! Is it a single pull for membership and CC with DCU and SDFCU or do they pull twice?

Message 8 of 12
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

DCU pulls equifax and chexsystems, im pretty sure.  I am not a member though.   SDFCU will not pull your credit for membership, but will pull Experian for a credit card.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 9 of 12
Poki
Valued Member

Alliant never pulled my credit.

If it helps, I joined Alliant CU (Illinois?) and NASA FCU (MD) recently - and I live in Indiana. Smiley LOL I also have a USAA checking, but I will be closing that.

I'm waiting to mid-September to close the two big bank checking accounts (BofA and Huntington); can't wait, I would close theme now, but they charge an "early closing fee". By this time, the only local account I will have is a PNC savings account (so I can make cash deposits).

"Neither a Borrower Nor a Lender Be"
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.