Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over the Limit fee

tag
vollybal
Regular Contributor

Over the Limit fee

Hey All,

I thouht that the new Credit card laws outlawed the over the limit fees that major credits(capitalone for me) can charge?

THis month's statement came today and it looked like we were 2 dollars and change over the limit before the interest and then they add on a 25 dollar over the limit fee.

Can someone explain if this is right or If I need to have a nice chat with Capital One?

Regards,

Michael

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Over the Limit fee

Overlimit fees are still allowed, what the law does is not allow them to put you in default APR because you went over the limit (2) then they can increase your APR for going over!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to WIkipedia, the CARD act mandates that:

Card companies should not impose excessive fees on cardholders.

• Limits the number of "over-the-limit" fees card companies are allowed to charge to 3 billing cycles. Some card companies currently charge limitless fees for going over credit limits.
  • Unless the consumer has expressly permitted the creditor to approve charges which make the balance over the limit, the creditor is not allowed to charge an over-the-limit fee if the balance goes over the limit.
So they can legally charge you the fee if you tell them they can.
Message 3 of 6
Pushto700
Frequent Contributor

@vollybal wrote:

Hey All,

I thouht that the new Credit card laws outlawed the over the limit fees that major credits(capitalone for me) can charge?

THis month's statement came today and it looked like we were 2 dollars and change over the limit before the interest and then they add on a 25 dollar over the limit fee.

Can someone explain if this is right or If I need to have a nice chat with Capital One?

Regards,

Michael

Yes, it is perfectly legal. I am not certain how it is with Cap One, but I once went $2.00 over my limit a few months agao and (as I frequently do) made a payment right then, and assigned another to post on my payday right before the new statement cut. HSBC has all kind of pop ups in which they are spinning it as "Over the limit coverage". It really is not coverage, it is simply another way to hit the consumer for revenue, because the CC law shot down default APRs.

I would call and ask, maybe they will give it back to you (I don't know, but anything is worth a shot - my guess is no) and in the future monitor the balance and know that you can immediately pay to get under your limit to avoid that $25.00 over the limit fee when the statement cuts. That is what they are banking on, that people go over as to attach the fees in earning revenue.  

Starting Score: TU: ?-- EQ: ?--EX 560 (8-08)
Current Score: TU: 671 (3-10) 625 (4-10/Rebucketed)--EQ: 674 (3-10)--EX 630 (Lender 11-09)
Goal Score: TU: 750--EQ: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
vollybal
Regular Contributor

Hello all,

Thanks for the info. I actually called them and I read on their statements that I have to tell them it is ok to charge me the over the limit fee. So when I called them I was able to get the OTL fee removed and told them I do not want any fees ever charged for OTL. They told me ok and then they told me about a program for over the limit to protect from getting declined when you are about to go over your limit...Umm why would I want that if it allows for going over the limit and charging a OTL fee...Geesh I swear they just read scripts at times. Ok well thanks again for the info.

Message 5 of 6
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

There are many cases where it is preferrable to pay the OL fee than have a charge declined.  Automatic Billing and Travelling for instance.    I've opted in on some accounts but not all.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.