Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over the limit, any hits to score?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Over the limit, any hits to score?

Anyone know if going over the limit directly effects your score?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Over the limit, any hits to score?

Going over the limit during your billing period or being over the limit when the statement cuts and reports to the CRA?

Message 2 of 12
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I believe so....I went otl by just $50, it reported and I was hit with approx. 10 pts.  Smiley Mad
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

YEAH, it's like being late. Cause then they look at it like you don't know how to manage yourself.
Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Does this also apply to the cld Amex did to me? Had 1 cl, used 75%, pif, then they lowered my cl.  How long does it take to recoup the points?
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shouldn't this ding reverse once your payment reports bringing it back down below the limit?
Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

To add another question then, if the card gets a CLI, how would anyone know the card was over the limit?  PS - it was crap 1

(this was a friend asking me and I didn't think it would effect anything, since the cl is now higher then the line that states "highest balance" )

Message Edited by chiwiseguy on 08-28-2008 01:49 PM
Message 7 of 12
Bella1980
Established Contributor

bump

Starting Score: TU- 682, EQ- 698, EX- 713
Current Score: TU- 723, EQ- 747, EX- 737
Goal Score: 760 PLUS FICO's

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 8 of 12
fused
Moderator Emeritus

fishbjc wrote:
I believe so....I went otl by just $50, it reported and I was hit with approx. 10 pts.  Smiley Mad

Consider yourself VERY fortunate. For some, having a single revolving account reporting an OTL balance can have same the reslut as a serious derog hitting your reports. It's possible to lose well over 60 or 80 points when an OTL account reports.
Message 9 of 12
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:
To add another question then, if the card gets a CLI, how would anyone know the card was over the limit? PS - it was crap 1
(this was a friend asking me and I didn't think it would effect anything, since the cl is now higher then the line that states "highest balance" )

On a full credit report, your credit limits for various time periods are listed. So if a lender wanted to look at your highest balance, and compare it to what your credit limit was at the time, they could tell. But I did once have an intrracycle balance that was OTL (no penalty, this was USAA, God bless 'em), and I've never had any negative feedback about it from other lenders, even though it's there if you know how to look for it.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.