cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Over the limit by $9 bucks...request a CLI?

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Over the limit by $9 bucks...request a CLI?

I'm currently over the limit on my Discover card by $9 dollars. I had a recurring charge that went through on my card and Discover chose not to decline the transaction. Would this be a bad time to request a CLI?

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Over the limit by $9 bucks...request a CLI?

@maiden_girl wrote:

I'm currently over the limit on my Discover card by $9 dollars. I had a recurring charge that went through on my card and Discover chose not to decline the transaction. Would this be a bad time to request a CLI?

If your saying the card is max out ...yes bad time to ask

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Yes, my card is maxed out. My CL is $1500 and my account balance is at $1509. I made a payment on my card of $100 but it hasn't posted yet just to clear up being over the limit. I forgot to cancel a recurring charge.

Message 3 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

Yes, my card is maxed out. My CL is $1500 and my account balance is at $1509. I made a payment on my card of $100 but it hasn't posted yet just to clear up being over the limit. I forgot to cancel a recurring charge.

Pay it down and you should be in good shape for a CLI

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 4 of 10
Tommy5746
Regular Contributor

I wouldn't... I would simply work on getting that balance down ASAP! if you do try for a CLI and are given one, it may lead to more trouble lol
Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Message 5 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Lol. I haven't been using it. The balance is big because I had a large purchase and I'm in 0% APR mode right now. I'm not so much concerned with reaching my limit but rather being over it...I've never been over my limit on any card before so that was a first.

Message 6 of 10
PokemonMaster
Frequent Contributor

@maiden_girl wrote:

Lol. I haven't been using it. The balance is big because I had a large purchase and I'm in 0% APR mode right now. I'm not so much concerned with reaching my limit but rather being over it...I've never been over my limit on any card before so that was a first.

I would say Discover letting the charge go through, even if it only put you over by 9, is a good sign. To me it tells me that Discover trusts you. I would pay part of the balance down and in a month or two I think Discover CLI is definitely a possibility.

Message 7 of 10
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@PokemonMaster wrote:

@maiden_girl wrote:

I would say Discover letting the charge go through, even if it only put you over by 9, is a good sign. To me it tells me that Discover trusts you. I would pay part of the balance down and in a month or two I think Discover CLI is definitely a possibility.

Thank you! I'm hoping to pay the balance down in the next month or so.

Message 8 of 10
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Discover also doesn't charge over limit fees.

Just make sure you pay your balance to below your limit asap, and if your 0% apr applies only to BTs or something, that you pay the min payment +9$.
Message 9 of 10
kc12286
Frequent Contributor

To the OP: I was over my limit and requested a CLI. I had to sacrifice an HP, but I was approved  I wasn't asking for a big increase and I explained the charges and why I was requesting an increase.

In the Garden Club since: 07/05/2017

6/9/2008-TransUnion-703
6/9/2008-Equifax-712
6/9/2008 Experian-635

2/16/2011 Transunion - 675
3/11/2011 Equifax - 688
5/13/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Transunion - 724
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.