Credit Cards Center Credit cards from our partners
Reply
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,110
Registered: ‎12-29-2011
0

Over the limit by $9 bucks...request a CLI?

I'm currently over the limit on my Discover card by $9 dollars. I had a recurring charge that went through on my card and Discover chose not to decline the transaction. Would this be a bad time to request a CLI?

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 764 (EQ) 732 (EX) 757 (TU) 9/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Mastercard (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)






Community Leader
Senior Contributor
Posts: 27,675
Registered: ‎02-07-2013
0

Re: Over the limit by $9 bucks...request a CLI?


maiden_girl wrote:

I'm currently over the limit on my Discover card by $9 dollars. I had a recurring charge that went through on my card and Discover chose not to decline the transaction. Would this be a bad time to request a CLI?


If your saying the card is max out ...yes bad time to ask

+ Chase ink =




Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,110
Registered: ‎12-29-2011
0

Re: Over the limit by $9 bucks...request a CLI?

Yes, my card is maxed out. My CL is $1500 and my account balance is at $1509. I made a payment on my card of $100 but it hasn't posted yet just to clear up being over the limit. I forgot to cancel a recurring charge.

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 764 (EQ) 732 (EX) 757 (TU) 9/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Mastercard (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)






Community Leader
Senior Contributor
Posts: 27,675
Registered: ‎02-07-2013
0

Re: Over the limit by $9 bucks...request a CLI?


maiden_girl wrote:

Yes, my card is maxed out. My CL is $1500 and my account balance is at $1509. I made a payment on my card of $100 but it hasn't posted yet just to clear up being over the limit. I forgot to cancel a recurring charge.


Pay it down and you should be in good shape for a CLI

+ Chase ink =




Regular Contributor
Posts: 440
Registered: ‎02-08-2012
0

Re: Over the limit by $9 bucks...request a CLI?

I wouldn't... I would simply work on getting that balance down ASAP! if you do try for a CLI and are given one, it may lead to more trouble lol
Goal: 700 and an Amex Card!

Chicks Dig Guys With Good Credit Smiley Happy
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,110
Registered: ‎12-29-2011
0

Re: Over the limit by $9 bucks...request a CLI?

Lol. I haven't been using it. The balance is big because I had a large purchase and I'm in 0% APR mode right now. I'm not so much concerned with reaching my limit but rather being over it...I've never been over my limit on any card before so that was a first.

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 764 (EQ) 732 (EX) 757 (TU) 9/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Mastercard (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)






Frequent Contributor
Posts: 293
Registered: ‎06-05-2011
0

Re: Over the limit by $9 bucks...request a CLI?


maiden_girl wrote:

Lol. I haven't been using it. The balance is big because I had a large purchase and I'm in 0% APR mode right now. I'm not so much concerned with reaching my limit but rather being over it...I've never been over my limit on any card before so that was a first.


I would say Discover letting the charge go through, even if it only put you over by 9, is a good sign. To me it tells me that Discover trusts you. I would pay part of the balance down and in a month or two I think Discover CLI is definitely a possibility.

Scores: EQ - 763 (Amex FICO 8/1/2015) TU - 761 (Discover FICO - 7/31/2015), EQ - 770 (Citi FICO - 7/28/2015)
Current Cards: Amex BCE - 10k, NFCU cashRewards Sig - 8k, Discover It - 7k, Citi Dividend WE- 6.5k, Chase Freedom - 4k
Last App: 6/10/2014. In the garden for a few years.
Highlighted
Valued Contributor
Posts: 2,110
Registered: ‎12-29-2011
0

Re: Over the limit by $9 bucks...request a CLI?


JollehRoger wrote:

maiden_girl wrote:

Lol. I haven't been using it. The balance is big because I had a large purchase and I'm in 0% APR mode right now. I'm not so much concerned with reaching my limit but rather being over it...I've never been over my limit on any card before so that was a first.


I would say Discover letting the charge go through, even if it only put you over by 9, is a good sign. To me it tells me that Discover trusts you. I would pay part of the balance down and in a month or two I think Discover CLI is definitely a possibility.


Thank you! I'm hoping to pay the balance down in the next month or so.

The truth is out there...
FICO scores: 764 (EQ) 732 (EX) 757 (TU) 9/14 | Goal score: 750+ (all 3)
Tradelines: Capital One QS NPSL (5.0k) | Discover IT (6.0k) | Walmart Mastercard (5.0k) | Chase Freedom NPSL (7.3k) | Citi Simplicity (9.3k)






Super Contributor
Posts: 6,167
Registered: ‎12-11-2011
0

Re: Over the limit by $9 bucks...request a CLI?

Discover also doesn't charge over limit fees.

Just make sure you pay your balance to below your limit asap, and if your 0% apr applies only to BTs or something, that you pay the min payment +9$.
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 361
Registered: ‎07-31-2007
0

Re: Over the limit by $9 bucks...request a CLI?

[ Edited ]

To the OP: I was over my limit and requested a CLI. I had to sacrifice an HP, but I was approved  I wasn't asking for a big increase and I explained the charges and why I was requesting an increase.

6/9/2008-TransUnion-703
6/9/2008-Equifax-712
6/9/2008 Experian-635

2/16/2011 Transunion - 675
3/11/2011 Equifax - 688
5/13/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Equifax - 704
5/28/2011 Transunion - 724
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.