Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overcharged by $1.00...what to do?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Overcharged by $1.00...what to do?

OK, I need some opinions here.  I used one of my brand new CCs a few days ago when GF and I grabbed some dinner.  Trust me, I am normally a very good tipper (usually 20-22% for excellent service), but this evening I didn't tip, because this was a fast-food type place, and we took our food to go.  It's not the sort of place you would be expected to tip if you were paying cash.  That evening, there was a hold on my CC account for the proper amount of the charge.

Today I checked my account online, and the charge posted, but it's for $1.00 more than it should have been.

So what would you do?

1) Shrug it off.  It's only a buck.
2) Try to talk to the manager.
3) Dispute with CCC as an overcharge.

I'm inclined to just shrug it off.  But at the same time I'm kinda ticked that someone posted an extra dollar without my authorization.

Opinions?  What would you do?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
kclb
Regular Contributor

Re: Overcharged by $1.00...what to do?

@Anonymous wrote:
OK, I need some opinions here. I used one of my brand new CCs a few days ago when GF and I grabbed some dinner. Trust me, I am normally a very good tipper (usually 20-22% for excellent service), but this evening I didn't tip, because this was a fast-food type place, and we took our food to go. It's not the sort of place you would be expected to tip if you were paying cash. That evening, there was a hold on my CC account for the proper amount of the charge.
Today I checked my account online, and the charge posted, but it's for $1.00 more than it should have been.
So what would you do?
1) Shrug it off. It's only a buck.
2) Try to talk to the manager.
3) Dispute with CCC as an overcharge.
I'm inclined to just shrug it off. But at the same time I'm kinda ticked that someone posted an extra dollar without my authorization.
Opinions? What would you do?

Hm. I would feel the same and be ticked about that. That's just wrong. Maybe a mistake on their part? Just have to research it more...

-
EX - 677 | EQ - 714 | TU - 724 as of December 4, 2013.
-
CC - Bank Of Hawaii - Hawaiian Airlines - $1500 / AMEX - Costco - $1200 (Nov '13) / Discover IT - $1200 / Aloha Pacific Credit Union - $3000 / AMEX - Blue - $6500 (authorized user) / Chase - CSP - $5000 (Dec '13)
-
Closed Accounts - AMEX Platinum.
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

kclb wrote:

Maybe a mistake on their part? ...

Possibly, but doubtful.  Remember, the initial hold on the card was for the correct amount, which means that the amount was keyed in properly.  It wasn't until the transaction posted that the extra dollar showed up, and that is when tips always show up on a CC transaction....AFTER the initial hold.  That makes me think the dollar was added later, perhaps out of spite since I didn't leave a tip myself.  (But as I said, it's not the sort of place you would be expected to.)

Message Edited by cheddar on 11-13-2007 07:37 PM
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would take my reciept and head right back up there.  I dont take anything that doesnt belong to me and no one is taking whats mine.  I always put 0 in the tip place, because I tip in cash.  Tks Vicki

Out of principal you have to go back.  If its the help the manager has the right to know.  Tks Vicki

Message Edited by greyhound2007 on 11-13-2007 07:39 PM
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

What card is it you said? You can dispute it directly w/ the card issuer- the have workers that check into disputed charges over billing...
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

When I tip in cash i write CASH in the tip section.

I would ask the manager about this- phone or email.

@Anonymous wrote:
I would take my reciept and head right back up there. I dont take anything that doesnt belong to me and no one is taking whats mine. I always put 0 in the tip place, because I tip in cash. Tks Vicki
Out of principal you have to go back. If its the help the manager has the right to know. Tks Vicki

Message Edited by greyhound2007 on 11-13-2007 07:39 PM

Message 6 of 16
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Timothy wrote: When I tip in cash i write CASH in the tip section.
I like that! I'll have to start doing that. I always feel guilty writing in $0, even though I did tip in cash. And if I ever do have to tip on my card, I tip double, because I know perfectly well the servers aren't declaring all their cash tips on their taxes.

Can you tell that my first job at age 15 was busing tables? Smiley Tongue
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy wrote:
When I tip in cash i write CASH in the tip section.

I would ask the manager about this- phone or email.

I always put a line through the tip section and write the total before I sign.

The person who served us was the only one working, and the place was closing in half an hour when we came in.  I have a feeling he put a dollar on there for himself just hoping that I wouldn't notice, or if I did notice then I wouldn't pursue it.  I'm positive that if they actually managed to come up with the sales slip, it would have a line through the tip section.  That doesn't stop him from authorizing a tip for whatever amount he wants, though, especially if he's the only one in the place.

Message 8 of 16
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I say talk to the manager... he/she can pull the slip and maybe meet back up with you if you wanted to spend the time and you could confirm what was added after you left.
If you don't care about the place or wasting your time, dispute the whole thing, most likely small charge like that, CC will just write it off and credit to you.
Message 9 of 16
MeganML84
Frequent Contributor

Creditaddict wrote:
I say talk to the manager... he/she can pull the slip and maybe meet back up with you if you wanted to spend the time and you could confirm what was added after you left.
If you don't care about the place or wasting your time, dispute the whole thing, most likely small charge like that, CC will just write it off and credit to you.

Yes, but why should the CCC have to pay for something this unethical salesperson did? I don't think it's right the credit card company pays for it, even if it is a small amount. We want the CCC to treat us fairly, we should do the same.

I think you should go back and speak to the manager about this. If this guy did it to you, he is probably doing it to others too and that's not right.
Wisdom doesn't automatically come with old age. Nothing does - except wrinkles. It's true, some wines improve with age... but only if the grapes were good in the first place.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.