cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlimit and BOA still approving charges ??

tag
youngman1234
Established Contributor

Overlimit and BOA still approving charges ??

I don't understand Boa they are crzy. I have 3 cc with them and currently on my highest credit limit with them I am over the limit and they keep approving charges still. I use my cards heavily, I mean max out every month and PIF before the statement cuts so balance never gets reported. Current I brought my bill upto 7493 on my 7500 limit. Then a company I had previous given my cc number to that I buy goods from ran a $935 charge and a $90 charge on it. And for some odd reason it got approved, I don't understand how. But anyway that brought me to about 1,000 over the limit, this was 2 weeks ago since then have made no payment to the account. My statement cuts on thursday so will make a payment on Wed in the amount of 8700.

Funny thing is they approved another charge today in the amount of $134.99 from the same company, I don't understand what is going on. Am I going to get hit with an overlimit fee, why the hell are they still approved charges when I'm over the limit....

I'm not worried, I dont think I will get AA since I paid off one of my other accounts with them last week also got to 4982 on a 5k limit, and PIF before statement cut.
Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Re: Overlimit and BOA still approving charges ??

A lot of CCs will unless you call and have them place a hard stop on your limit.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 23
marty56
Super Contributor

So it seems that BofA is using Capitol Ones fees, fees, a nd more fees model.  OT some debit cards and bans will also allow you to exceed your checking account balance via a overdraft.  I used to bank at SSFCU and you had to ask them not to do this.  Should be the default to deny the charge.  IMHO I would have expected that to be in the credit card reform act.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you know you are over the limit, why would you still be using the card?

Message 4 of 23
MontegoMack
Frequent Contributor

Could this be a signature card?

AmEx Platinum - AmEx BCP - Chase Freedom - NFCU Platinum - Chase Amazon Prime - Citi Costco - Citi Best Buy
Message 5 of 23
aloush11
Regular Contributor

If its a BOA Visa Sig, then anything over your Pre-Set spending is ran like an Amex Charge. I think they said they soft you for every transaction that is over the limit. I wouldn't mind tho, it does not report a limit so your high balance is what's going to be used. 

Message 6 of 23
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

@marty56 wrote:

So it seems that BofA is using Capitol Ones fees, fees, a nd more fees model.  OT some debit cards and bans will also allow you to exceed your checking account balance via a overdraft.  I used to bank at SSFCU and you had to ask them not to do this.  Should be the default to deny the charge.  IMHO I would have expected that to be in the credit card reform act.

Bank of America did away with over the limit fees after the card act. I am not sure about Capital One; Chase also does not charge a fee. All debit cards are now defaulted to not allowing it. Now you have to opt-in.

@Anonymous wrote:

If you know you are over the limit, why would you still be using the card?

I wondered the same thing, but it could be a Visa Signature or a World Mastercard where they allow you to go over the limit. Still, I would have paid some of it down as soon as it went over the limit unless I knew there would be no penalty.

Message 7 of 23
youngman1234
Established Contributor

This isn't a signature card... It's a secured bank of america that went unsecured last year and current limit is $7500. I didn't use the card on purpose, I gave my cc number to this vendor 4 months ago and they charge and me now. I didn't do a swipe charge they ran it through manually... I obviously don't want to purposely go over limit...
Message 8 of 23
aloush11
Regular Contributor

I remember we had an issue with this when we had a small business.. The rep told us to use the Force Feature anytime we ran a transaction on the terminal, he said so we would have higher approval rates.. It turns out later that it literally forces the transaction approve unless the card is closed or we were offline. I had $20 available on one card and tried for $2000, it was approved and showed up as a pending transaction online. I ended up voiding the transaction and stopped using it that way. I didn't feel right knowing that I may have, unintentionally adding over the limit fees and extra interest to innocent people. 

Message 9 of 23
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Sounds like you need to make that payment and then call into the backdoor number and have a chat with a credit person about some CL's that work better!

or a switch to Amex.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.