cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overpaid my CC, how will this reflect on my credit report?

tag
wallywonka
Established Member

Overpaid my CC, how will this reflect on my credit report?

Overpaid both my CCs and my refresh / cycling date is tomrw. 

ONe is overpaid by 9 bucks and the other 18 dollars. 

When this reports to my credit, will my report simply show a ZERO balance or what?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Overpaid my CC, how will this reflect on my credit report?

Yes it will report $0 balance. Ive had negative balance on 2 of my Chase cards for a few months and they report $0
Message 2 of 9
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

Zero balance. No ill effect. Just charge and kill the positive bal off or ask for a check.
Message 3 of 9
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Hmm interesting I over pay my cc via bill pay usually to make sure card has no balance,when o have an few pendings when statement cuts. I hope there is no adverse effects to doing this.

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 4 of 9
NoNonsense
Established Member

It will report a $0 but with an asterisk to warn other lenders that you ain't know math...

BTW, I am currently using the opposite technique "ALMOST PIF," before the Statement Cut.  I pay PIF but leave less than 50 cents unpaid, to assure the account produces a Statement AND yet still reports as ZERO.  I been flagged as "don't know math" either...

Message 5 of 9
irrational
Frequent Contributor

Overpaying your card will result in negative util, which will KILL your FICO score. Smiley Wink

Current Score: TU (discover) 720 - 6/29/14 | EQ (score watch) 777 - 7/19/14 - Last App 7/21/14

NPSL          |      $27,600         |      $15,000      |      $7,000      |     $2,800     |      $11,000    |      $13,530      |      $5,200
Message 6 of 9
DaveSignal
Valued Contributor

It will result in a credit balance with the lender. The CRAs do not report below $0 though. You can use the credit balance against your next months statement.
EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
Message 7 of 9
Boragard
Established Contributor

I remember one time I overpaid my Capital One Credit Card by $0.48 and they mailed me a check the following week.  I don't know why they didn't just deposit it into my account.  I mean, it cost more to print the check and mail it!! 

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

In my many overpayments not once did it affect the FICO Score. Also, all creditors reported zero to the CRBs.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.