Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overpayed Citicard, now what?

tag
tobey
Contributor

Overpayed Citicard, now what?

So I'm signed up for Citi's Autopay service, but I for some reason decided to pay my balance off  a week before the due date (today).  Today I log into my checking account and find it was overdrafted because Citi's stupid system tried to pay my bill AGAIN. I guess it doesn't matter if you already paid, their Autopay system will blindly withdraw whatever your previous statement balance was anyway, which seems ridiculous to me. 

Anyway, Citibank now owes me about $400. Will they send a check? Do I have to call them first?

Thank goodness my checking account has overdraft protection, or I'd really be pissed right now!

Starting Score: 737
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
crosbyk1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Overpayed Citicard, now what?

I don't have a citi card but I bet you could call and request a check.

Starting Score: 744
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 10
CHARGE_IT
Regular Contributor

Why not just use the card for gaoline and groceries and cell phone and myriad of other cost this month and leave your money in the bank. Look at it like for a month you have a CITI CHECK CARD.

It's the same isn't it?

CI

Message 3 of 10
jeffery581
Established Contributor

That is what scares me about "automatic" bill pay.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It will take a few weeks before CITI actually releases a check to you because of the overpayment. You will need to call them. The sooner you call, the sooner you can get your money back and possibly even have it sent directly back into your checking account.

Message 5 of 10
Cleanmachine
Frequent Contributor

Most, if not all, Auto-Pay Services has a period of time when the user can no longer make any adjustment.  This is spelled out in the Terms & Conditions.

CHARGE_IT  suggested a remarkable solution.

There is absolutely nothing to fear about Auto-Pay Services providing you learn how to use it. The system is not stupid, it’s the user.

No offense to tobey…….

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

it appears citi cap1 citi and juniper all use a non adjusted auto payment system which means the the payment always goes through as is it's chase and discover will adjust the final payment amount, that's I tell sign up for chase auto for a least for minimum , there no excuse for being late with chsae
Message 7 of 10
tobey
Contributor

Heh, none taken Cleanmachine. I noticed today it does clearly state on the payment page that auto-payments will process in addition to any other payments made. I guess I didn't really put much thought into what that meant until now! It just seems so archaic to me that the auto-pay system can't check to see if a payment has already been made and adjust its payment accordingly to prevent this sort of thing from happening. Seems it would save them a lot of hassle from having to mail out checks.

But, I will take Charge_It's advice. I use the card every day, so that money would have gone to Citi at some point or another. Might as well be now.

Thanks everyone!!

Starting Score: 737
Current Score: 777
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 10
illcrew3
Regular Contributor

Ha I would also request interest in the ammount that they charge you.

Message 9 of 10
MattH
Senior Contributor

@tobey wrote:

So I'm signed up for Citi's Autopay service, but I for some reason decided to pay my balance off  a week before the due date (today).  Today I log into my checking account and find it was overdrafted because Citi's stupid system tried to pay my bill AGAIN. I guess it doesn't matter if you already paid, their Autopay system will blindly withdraw whatever your previous statement balance was anyway, which seems ridiculous to me. 

Anyway, Citibank now owes me about $400. Will they send a check? Do I have to call them first?

Thank goodness my checking account has overdraft protection, or I'd really be pissed right now!

In my experience when I've paid more than I owe to Citibank it just means I have a credit balance towards future spending.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.