Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overseas Fraud - So much for chip transactions

tag
Callandra
Valued Contributor

Re: Overseas Fraud - So much for chip transactions

@Anonymous wrote:
Did you use the card exclusively in Germany? No U.S. usage? After your card has been compromised it'll get batched with other similar cards then put on the black market where, depending on how attractive the batch is, it may linger for awhile. Your card could've been compromised months ago & you're just now finding out.

Very true. My old Barclays Rewards MC was breached in the Target Breach (12/2013). Barclays closed it and sent me another one the following month. However, last November-ish, there were two declined charges at Krogers (never been to one in my life and there aren't any around here) that showed up on my Rewards as pending transactions. I called and the CSR told me that those charges were declined because the old number that was breached was used (yet for whatever reason, it still linked with my account despite a different number). The transactions never posted and that was that. So it can take time for your card to be compromised and for it to show up. 

Plus some scammers just try card number combinations with expiration dates until they find ones that work; your card may never even have been compromised somewhere. 

Quicksilver $10,000 | Better Balance Rewards $2000 | Sallie Mae $3500 | Freedom $3500

Last HP: 9/27/2015
Message 11 of 22
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

@jsucool76 wrote:

It's a US Issued card, I live in the US, card has been used in the US. 

Card was used on aliexpress.com fraudulently, which I'm assuming is a relative/subsidary of AliBaba. 

I'm not missing the point, but the card is an EMV card, when used in a reader that has EMV capability, provided it is turned on. That is the case in almost all of europe though. But Just like non-emv cards, they can be used online. EMV plays no role in online purchases. If anything, EMV just means cards will be used exclusively for online fraud. The problem exists because EMV is NOT a 100% safe method, and as europe (and others) have been using these cards for YEARS already, the weaknesses in them have already been discovered and exploited. 

My last US usage was at Target.com (surprise) and before that it hadn't been used for a little over a month. 

That is the case with all German EMV readers; and it's very likely that your card was skimmed in the US, not in Europe, unless there's a data breach at Chase or one of your merchants. It's because stores in the US haven't mandated chip usage. Most likely, nobody copied your data from chip terminals in EU, and most likely somebody did that fron non-chip terminals, in US.

While EMV is not 100% safe, it is definitely safer than whatever magstripe cards are prevalent in the US today. 

Online fraud could be reduced by two-step authorization, using a PIN, or authorizing through your bank's online account. Hopefully that'll come through as well. 

Message 12 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Sadly it's the world we live in. Even chip is not infallible, it's just harder than mag stripe, but the point about having used the stripe in the US on the card is a great point.

Luckily, credit card fraud is very easy to take care of compared to debit fraud.

Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chip and PIN is safer. US card companies are not really using this yet because it's so expensive to implement, although European ones are.

Chip and Signature is what some US card companies are using and it really does not provide that much protection over regular. We need to get Chip and PIN in the US asap!

Message 14 of 22
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chip and PIN is safer. US card companies are not really using this yet because it's so expensive to implement, although European ones are.

Chip and Signature is what some US card companies are using and it really does not provide that much protection over regular. We need to get Chip and PIN in the US asap!

Considering how long it takes Americans to adopt anything you'll be waiting a long time.

I doubt people are even going to really "get the hang of" chip for a loooong time after it becomes standard. Chip + PIN will be even further in the future if it ever happens.

Just imagine trying to memorize all your CC PINs, especially those with a ton of cards..

Message 15 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunately, this is happening with a lot of Chase cards lately. A few others on here have had fraudulent charges recently on their Chase cards as well.

Message 16 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, chips can't prevent online transactions, but that's where extra verification from mastercard /visa come in, each time you order something online, you get a popup for extra password that tied to the card.
Message 17 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry this happened to jsu! People don't really get EMV in America. While shopping in Dillard's the other day..a younger girl was waving her new BOA debit card around to the cashier screeching, "It gets safer everytime you swipe it." Lol!
Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@rlx01 wrote:
Correlation is not causation. Smiley Happy

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-ultimate-rewards/1682573-chase-hacked-again.html

Thanks for sharing this link. I have been saying for awhile now that there is something up with Chase's cards, but never bothered to do any research on the problem (I just went by all of the reports of fraudulent charges on Chase cards within this forum). I'm shocked by how wide spread this problem really is. I wonder when Chase is going to step up and admit they have a problem with their cards? I mean, they have to know by now there was a breach somewhere that's affecting their cards..

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

Considering how long it takes Americans to adopt anything you'll be waiting a long time.

I doubt people are even going to really "get the hang of" chip for a loooong time after it becomes standard. Chip + PIN will be even further in the future if it ever happens.

Just imagine trying to memorize all your CC PINs, especially those with a ton of cards..

Or just set them all to be the same. But apparently that's difficult too.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.