Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Owning 2 Sallie Mae WMC's?

tag
TheFate
Established Contributor

Owning 2 Sallie Mae WMC's?

I noticed quite a few peeps here have 2 Sallie Mae WMC's.. How is that possible if you dont mind me asking?

Message 1 of 38
37 REPLIES 37
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Owning 2 Sallie Mae WMC's?

@TheFate wrote:

I noticed quite a few peeps here have 2 Sallie Mae WMC's.. How is that possible if you dont mind me asking?

First of all, a disclaimer:  I do not currently have a Sallie Mae card.

However, I read everything I can about it, since I plan to app for one Spring 2016, which will be here before we know it.

I've read a few people on here who, like you mention, say they have acquired two Sallie Mae's.  From what I can tell, the only sure-fire way to get a second one is if the app is instantly approved.  If there is any kind of verification or recon required, it has been said the app will be rejected by the CSR (not quite the same as declined) due to each person only being officially permitted to have one Sallie Mae.  One poster reported the second app getting rejected by the CSR when he was prompted to call in for ID verification over a glitch with the home address in his application.

So basically, it's a YMMV kind of thing.  It seems that if you are able to get through the automation and get instantly approved, you're "in", otherwise you're out of luck since they 'officially' only permit each person to have one.

Hope this helps!

Message 2 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

No one "owns" credit cards except the issuer.
Message 3 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

UncleB - Correct, at least in my experience. Smiley Happy Funny thing is once you're approved for two its never an issue with the reps you speak to who look over your accounts in the future. Think I've called twice since I got two and no ones given me any grief about it so don't feel like you have to hide from Barclay after the second. Smiley Very Happy Instant approvals were key for me.
Message 4 of 38
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
No one "owns" credit cards except the issuer.

Agree I hate this term. All you own is the debt. The cards are not your property and can be taken away whenever the issuer wants. They are not an asset.

Anyway, to OP's question yes you can have two. It's not explicitly allowed by Barclay's, and they will decline it if you app is not instantly approved. So you're taking a risk of wasting a HP. But some people just swear by having two of them.

Message 5 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

We take risks of wasting a HP with every application. And idk about swearing by two but not all of us can survive on $25 a week for groceries sir Smiley Tongue So two comes in handy.
Message 6 of 38
kdm31091
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
We take risks of wasting a HP with every application. And idk about swearing by two but not all of us can survive on $25 a week for groceries sir Smiley Tongue So two comes in handy.

Right, but I think the element of waste is a bit higher with this because it's a 2nd app for what one already has. I dunno.

I spend more than that on groceries! I just buy them at Target or BJ's. Trust me,  I wish $25 a week was enough lol

Message 7 of 38
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

So, If I already have one and app and it is an instant approval, then they won't notice I already have one?

If that is the case I will consider that in the future.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 8 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Tigger not quite. What I'm saying is the system wont deny you the card if its an instant approval. But if you have to call about the app or recon then the rep will likely deny your application. Once approved if you call them for any issue they can clearly see all your accounts listed so they will notice but at that point its not a problem.
Message 9 of 38
weehoo
Frequent Contributor

ive had one card for about 2 years and the second for about a year, applied for both online, so far no one has said anything and i dont expect them to

Citi AAdvantage WE - 41k | Marriott Bonvoy Brilliance - 29k | Citi Double Cash - 19 .5k | Southwest Premier - 39k | Discover Miles - 23k | GECRB Ebates Visa - 10k | Golden1 Rewards - $10k | Ducks Unlimited - 6k |
Message 10 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.