Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PAYMENTS APPLY TO LOWEST APR??

tag
rom828
Established Contributor

PAYMENTS APPLY TO LOWEST APR??

DH rec'd offer from BoA of 2.99% thru Sept 2010 on purchases over $250. 

The fine print at the bottom of the letter states " we will allocate your payments to balances with lower APRs before balances with higher APRs"

I thought there was something in the new CC rules eff 2-22 that disallowed crediting payments this way.

Evidently I've misconstrued what I've read regarding the changes  and I'm hoping someone out there can clarify!!

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: PAYMENTS APPLY TO LOWEST APR??

Any payments above minimum will be applied to higher interest rates
Message 2 of 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Creditaddict wrote:
Any payments above minimum will be applied to higher interest rates

+1

This was what a BofA CSR explained to me several weeks ago.

So if you have a BT at 1.99%, and you make a purchase at 14.99%, and you pay more than the minimum payment for the BT, the rest goes to the new purchase. If you pay more than the BT minimum plus the full amount of the new purchase, the remainder goes back toward the BT.

So you can make purchases while you are running a low-interest balance, but if you want to make a significant dent in the low-interest part, you'll have to pay that one's minimum + full amount of new purchase + whatever extra you want to reduce the low-interest balance by. (Hope that makes sense. Smiley Tongue)
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 3 of 10
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

@rom828 wrote:

The fine print at the bottom of the letter states " we will allocate your payments to balances with lower APRs before balances with higher APRs"

I thought there was something in the new CC rules eff 2-22 that disallowed crediting payments this way.

Evidently I've misconstrued what I've read regarding the changes  and I'm hoping someone out there can clarify!!

rom828, just clarifying something here...is this a personal credit card (consumer acct) or a business credit card that your DH has?  If he has a business credit card, none of the provisions of the new laws apply to it, including the allocation of payments.

This is a distinction that many folks seem to overlook.

Message 4 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

@rom828 wrote:

rom828, just clarifying something here...is this a personal credit card (consumer acct) or a business credit card that your DH has?  If he has a business credit card, none of the provisions of the new laws apply to it, including the allocation of payments.

This is a distinction that many folks seem to overlook.

I'm one of those overlookers. Smiley Happy  Thanks for adding this.

Message 5 of 10
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

marinevietvet wrote:   I'm one of those overlookers. Smiley Happy  Thanks for adding this.

Anytime, Marine!  Glad it helped.

I'd hate to see anybody depend on their payments being applied to higher APR balances first, only to find out later on that they're stuck with paying lots of interest because they have a business credit card account that is not affected by these new laws.

A buzzer went off in my head when I saw OP's post about the allocation of payments.  BofA's legal team wouldn't make that kind of a mistake on a consumer disclosure, at least I don't think they would.  I just want OP to make absolutely sure of what kind of card account that actually is before moving forward with anything.  My bet is that it's a business credit card account.

Edited (for sloppy typing).

Message Edited by Uborrow-Upay on 02-20-2010 01:55 PM
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not a personal account vs. business account confusion thing. That "lowest APR first" sentence also continues to appear on BOA access check offers. DW and I receive offers every month for each of our three BOA CC personal accounts. I just received another one yesterday (the offer was dated February 2), and it still has that same "lowest APR first" sentence in the terms.

It simply looks like BOA will continue to state that payments are applied to "lowest APR first" on every offer they send out until February 22, and then they will change the sentence in the terms. They probably should have clarified on these offers that payments will only be applied to lowest APR first through 2/21, and then the payment application will change to conform to CCARD Act, but BOA has already sent us (and I assume everyone) other notices that cover CCARD Act changes in general ... 

Message Edited by Revike on 02-20-2010 06:07 PM
Message 7 of 10
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

That's very interesting, Revike.  And you're in a better position to know what's going on with the BofA consumer disclosures, as I don't have any accounts with BofA whatsoever. 

I'm just suggesting that the OP makes sure of which type of card her DH has before assuming anything about payment allocations.

(It's the Felix Unger in me, I guess!)   :smileyvery-happy: 

Message 8 of 10
rom828
Established Contributor

Thanks all for the advices!  (I'be been away from my computer, hence the delay in my reply).

This is a personal card for DH.  BoA recently changed ("upgraded"--their words)  him from Platinum to Singature w/World Points.

We have a couple of home improvement projects we plan to start and this offer might be helpful, but we're always a little leary of BoA in light of some of the experiences we've read about here.

I think I understand the payment allocation as you all have explained it (minimum pyt goes to lowest, am't over minimum goes to highest).  Now I guess we have to decide if we want to take the plunge!

FICOS: TU 732(05-16-16) EQ '08 739( 05-16-16) EX 737 (08-17-16)
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry for bumping this thread but I wanted to see if there was any updates on this.....My friend received the BOA promo also on a personal account (for purchases over $250 made before 3/31, the APR is 2.99% for 6 months I believe).  Since this is a promo offer I'm wondering if it has been verified officially that the portion of payments larger than the min. payment will be applied to the balance held at the regular APR first (not the balance held at the 2.99% APR)

Thank you

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.