Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC: Chase Sapphire Preferred to regular Sapphire

tag
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

PC: Chase Sapphire Preferred to regular Sapphire

Has anyone done this before? Can you keep your old metal card and have the account function as a regular Sapphire?

Just curious for those that have done it when their AF is due. 

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Re: PC: Chase Sapphire Preferred to regular Sapphire

Call and ask if you're eligible, a rep will have to check the system for you.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@SwiftTone wrote:

Has anyone done this before? Can you keep your old metal card and have the account function as a regular Sapphire?

Just curious for those that have done it when their AF is due. 

Any reason you want to change?  From your spend posted in the other thread, I'd be astonished if you weren't going to easily justify the AF?

Anyway I think it goes both ways with the CARD act: I know they couldn't PC you within a year from no AF, to a card with AF, and I think it may be the same (since the CSP has an AF and the CS doesn't).  I would be wrong about that, but if not, you're looking at month 13 before PCing.

        
Message 3 of 16
bribro
Valued Contributor

I don't think they will allow you to keep using the metal CSP card if you downgrade to a plain CS. I remember asking this question when I was approved for a CSP a couple of months ago.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 4 of 16
Crashem
Valued Contributor

It's amazing how a little metal in a card is the primary concern
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 16
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Crashem wrote:

Heh, looked at it that way, it's no different than:

- obtaining a FICO score being a primary concern for having an account (ok maybe a little different than that)

- Maintaining that one extra point so one has a 800 FICO instead of a 799

- Add your own semi-goofy forum rationale here, there's plenty of them for how people judge themselves.

We all have little foibles, ain't no big thing.

        
Message 6 of 16
CS800
Super Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

Try forgeting your metal card in your pocket while going through the TSA at the airport...you get some extra love and attention from the TSA agents.

TSA Agent (female): 'Sir please step aside' spread your legs and lift your arms up.

Me: Oh well ma'am we just met and i dont even know your name LOL

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CS800 wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

Try forgeting your metal card in your pocket while going through the TSA at the airport...you get some extra love and attention from the TSA agents.

TSA Agent (female): 'Sir please step aside' spread your legs and lift your arms up.

Me: Oh well ma'am we just met and i dont even know your name LOL

I have not seen a female TSA agent that would make me do anything short of turning around, running, screaming and praying that I get shot first Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 16
android01
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

Heh, looked at it that way, it's no different than:

- obtaining a FICO score being a primary concern for having an account (ok maybe a little different than that)

- Maintaining that one extra point so one has a 800 FICO instead of a 799

- Add your own semi-goofy forum rationale here, there's plenty of them for how people judge themselves.

We all have little foibles, ain't no big thing.

Ka-ching!  The SCORE is my obsession.  This probably keeps me from applying for more credit. 

EQ Fico 8 - 850
TU Fico 8 - 850
EX Fico 8 - 850
Message 9 of 16
matt00

The metal card is an awesome feature. The card never wears down. And it's the best card I've ever had for spend. It's kills amex and the ridiculous call for random approval. I've never been declined in any situation. It's the ultimate card in my opinion. I never even consider using other cards.
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.