Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC NFCU goRewards to Flagship?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PC NFCU goRewards to Flagship?

Hey all,

My sign up bonus for my goRewards just posted a little bit ago. Got 20,000 points for spending $2000 in 90 days, which I thought managing that on a $500 CL card was impressive.

Anyway I'll be redeeming those points soon and with my recent $8k SP CLI the thought to PC that card to their Flagship card for a 2% card for only a $49 AF seems like a pretty good deal.

I got the goRewards to get the sign up bonus and see how I'd fair with a CC from NFCU without DW's stellar credit helping out Smiley Happy. I think I'm doing quite well since after all this app was initially a denial, that I got reconned to a $500 SL. A couple months later I also managed to change a HP CLI denial to a $1500 increase to ($2000) and most recently brought this account up to $10k after the Feb AR...

Thoughts on the PC? This card has been SDed since meeting the bonus, the goRewards doesn't have a place in my lineup and the DW and I have a Joint cashRewards card.

Thanks!
Oz
(Posted from my phone so I apologize in advance for the typos)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
joedtx
Valued Contributor

Re: PC NFCU goRewards to Flagship?

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey all,

My sign up bonus for my goRewards just posted a little bit ago. Got 20,000 points for spending $2000 in 90 days, which I thought managing that on a $500 CL card was impressive.

Anyway I'll be redeeming those points soon and with my recent $8k SP CLI the thought to PC that card to their Flagship card for a 2% card for only a $49 AF seems like a pretty good deal.

I got the goRewards to get the sign up bonus and see how I'd fair with a CC from NFCU without DW's stellar credit helping out Smiley Happy. I think I'm doing quite well since after all this app was initially a denial, that I got reconned to a $500 SL. A couple months later I also managed to change a HP CLI denial to a $1500 increase to ($2000) and most recently brought this account up to $10k after the Feb AR...

Thoughts on the PC? This card has been SDed since meeting the bonus, the goRewards doesn't have a place in my lineup and the DW and I have a Joint cashRewards card.

Thanks!
Oz

The reward structure is good, just keep in mind you will of course have the annual fee along with a higher interest rate. Sound like you are aware that the points do not transfer when pc'ing. Enjoy!

Message 2 of 12
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@joedtx wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks!
Oz

The reward structure is good, just keep in mind you will of course have the annual fee along with a higher interest rate. Sound like you are aware that the points do not transfer when pc'ing. Enjoy!

1. You will have AF

2. HOWEVER, Flagship does not = higher interest rate... in fact depending what your current rate is, it could even go DOWN.

Navy only offers a "possible" .65% savings between all the credit cards and Platinum if you qualify for BEST rates on all cards. 8.99% Platinum or 9.65% on all the other cards... lots of confusion on rates being much different on the different cards.

3. PC = super easy with Navy, just call and they will run it through the system and you will have the chance to cancel IF for some reason your interest rate is going to change for the worst.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Creditaddict wrote:

@joedtx wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey all,

Thanks!
Oz

1. You will have AF

2. HOWEVER, Flagship does not = higher interest rate... in fact depending what your current rate is, it could even go DOWN.

Navy only offers a "possible" .65% savings between all the credit cards and Platinum if you qualify for BEST rates on all cards. 8.99% Platinum or 9.65% on all the other cards... lots of confusion on rates being much different on the different cards.

3. PC = super easy with Navy, just call and they will run it through the system and you will have the chance to cancel IF for some reason your interest rate is going to change for the worst.

Thanks for the replies, I'm pretty sure my interest rate is already maxxed out, I'm at 17.99% on the goRewards right now.  Then again I always PIF unless I'm letting a balance report to maximize FICO scoring, but once it reports it's paid off before the next statement.  The AF is only $49 and at 2% cash back if I spend at least $2450 on it per year I break even, which is no big deal, I could probably do that in a month or two.  I do realize there is an opportunity cost with this card, meaning by using this card I'm losing the cashback I'd earn on say the cashRewards card, so my break even would be a little bit higher but I think I'm good.  The CSP I'd have a harder time justifying keeping since the AF is double, the Flagship not so much.

I went online last night and requested the cashback for the 20,000 points, the points are gone but I don't see any transfers or deposits, I'm guessing with the goRewards accounts it's a little different than the cashRewards.  The cashRewards are posted immediately.  I do have 2131 points left over (the $2000 spend to get the $200 back) but it doesn't look like I'll be able to redeem everything since the cutoff seems to be $50.  I really don't feel like spending another 3000 for $50 since it's only slightly higher 1.66% than I'd earn on a 1.5% card and less than I'd earn once I PC the card to Flagship.

Oz

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I recently cashed out my points on the GoRewards but I requested the NFCU VISA card and it came loaded with $200. Just received it in the mail yesterday Smiley Happy I ended up switching my card to Cash Rewards Siggy which I am still waiting in the mail for Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called earlier and the rep wanted me to have the cash back deposited to my account before he changed it over.  Hopefully it shows up tonight at midnight when their system updates and I can call and get it switched over tomorrow...

Oz

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alrighty the $200 cash back showed up in my Savings this morning so I went ahead and finished the PC to the Flagship.  No change in interest rate, new card should arrive in 7-10 days but they said my goRewards card will still work and the points will accrue on the Flagship rewards program Smiley Happy  I was a little sad they couldn't expedite my card but they could for the wifes Smiley Sad

I've never seen this before on NFCU, maybe because we don't have any Authorized User accounts but it looks like the wife's card has a different account number and I can manage spending limits.  We've noticed this is really helpful when sorting out expenses on the American Express cards, we just look up which card was used and then we each pay our part unless it's say groceries and then we split the household charges.  I wonder if they could do this on a Joint account as well, that is give us different card numbers to make sorting charges a little easier...

Oz

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Alrighty the $200 cash back showed up in my Savings this morning so I went ahead and finished the PC to the Flagship.  No change in interest rate, new card should arrive in 7-10 days but they said my goRewards card will still work and the points will accrue on the Flagship rewards program Smiley Happy  I was a little sad they couldn't expedite my card but they could for the wifes Smiley Sad

I've never seen this before on NFCU, maybe because we don't have any Authorized User accounts but it looks like the wife's card has a different account number and I can manage spending limits.  We've noticed this is really helpful when sorting out expenses on the American Express cards, we just look up which card was used and then we each pay our part unless it's say groceries and then we split the household charges.  I wonder if they could do this on a Joint account as well, that is give us different card numbers to make sorting charges a little easier...

Oz

I would have waited until Flagship offers 40K spend bonus.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Oz

I would have waited until Flagship offers 40K spend bonus.

Not sure NFCU would give you the bonus if you PC to it but I agree that that card is much more attractive with that bonus.  Glad I got it even if it took forever for them to credit the bonus points

Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Considering I just got 20k points on the goRewards for $2k spend in 3 months, I doubt they would have given me the offer on a Product Change.  Also considering the steps I had to take to get this card to not be a Toy Limit, I don't know if I could have met the UW for a 5k card from NFCU.  My scores have improved quite a bit since November but I already took 2 HPs for this card lol, might as well unsockdrawer this card and earn some rewards again... Smiley Happy

Oz

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.