cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Slate to CSP, then close current CSP?

tag
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

PC Slate to CSP, then close current CSP?

Since the Chase Slate card is basically a BT card, and I don't have any BTs with them right now, the only purpose for the card is to keep its AAoA.

I do have a CSP already that I acquired late last year. My thoughts are that I might convert the Slate to CSP, thus keeping the Slate's record, and then close the existing CSP prior to the annual fee becoming due.

The Slate actually started its life as the Buy.com Visa, so it has a ~12 year history.

Has anyone had success with this?

I also have a BP card that is only rarely useful in NJ since they nerfed their rewards program and NJ laws prevent that funky rewards system from working.

I was going to garden... Honest!
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Re: PC Slate to CSP, then close current CSP?

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

Since the Chase Slate card is basically a BT card, and I don't have any BTs with them right now, the only purpose for the card is to keep its AAoA.

I do have a CSP already that I acquired late last year. My thoughts are that I might convert the Slate to CSP, thus keeping the Slate's record, and then close the existing CSP prior to the annual fee becoming due.

The Slate actually started its life as the Buy.com Visa, so it has a ~12 year history.

I also have a BP card that is only rarely useful in NJ since they nerfed their rewards program and NJ laws prevent that funky rewards system from working.

I would check 3 things before you do this.  Is your Slate eligible to convert to the CSP.  Also the way you are explaining it you want to have two CSP at the same time which I don't know if you can.  Plus if you can't have both at the same time what happens to the UR that you currently have?

If you don't want to pay the CSP AF then why transfer anyway because what are you going to do next year when and if the Slate to CSP card's AF is due?

I would personally would just convert the Slate to Freedom for the 5x bonus categories plus it is still a no AF card.

Message 2 of 5
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

I would check 3 things before you do this.  Is your Slate eligible to convert to the CSP.  Also the way you are explaining it you want to have two CSP at the same time which I don't know if you can.  Plus if you can't have both at the same time what happens to the UR that you currently have?

If you don't want to pay the CSP AF then why transfer anyway because what are you going to do next year when and if the Slate to CSP card's AF is due?

I would personally would just convert the Slate to Freedom for the 5x bonus categories plus it is still a no AF card.

I currently have a Freedom MC, and a Freedom Visa. They even gave me a hard time to get the Visa upgraded to Signature, saying I needed to reapply, but when I reapply, they notice the two Freedom cards. (catch 22).  I even agreed to tentatively close the one Freedom for a new card number and new history, but that request was blocked in their system as well. 

They seem all too eager to allow multiple CSPs, go figure?

Message 3 of 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

@ezdoesit wrote:

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

I currently have a Freedom MC, and a Freedom Visa. They even gave me a hard time to get the Visa upgraded to Signature, saying I needed to reapply, but when I reapply, they notice the two Freedom cards. (catch 22).  I even agreed to tentatively close the one Freedom for a new card number and new history, but that request was blocked in their system as well. 

They seem all too eager to allow multiple CSPs, go figure?

The multiple CSPs has ended with Chase.  Last year they implemented a policy change to having 'one like' card in a rewards program.  Whether or not you are allowed to PC and keep two may get by but you cannot app for them anymore

from their T&C's

Replying to this offer: If you omit any information on the form, we may deny your request for an account. Chase cardmembers who currently have or have had a Chase credit card in any Rewards Program associated with this offer or have received a similar bonus offer, may not be eligible for a second Chase credit card in the same Rewards Program, or for any bonus offer. Chase cardmembers currently receiving promotional pricing, or Chase cardmembers with a history of only using their current or prior Chase card for promotional pricing offers, are not eligible for a second Chase credit card with promotional pricing. You must have a valid permanent home address within the 50 United States or the District of Columbia. The information about the costs of the card described in this form is accurate as of 2/22/2010. This information may have changed after that date. To find out what may have changed, write to us at Cardmember Service, P.O. Box 15043, Wilmington, DE 19850-5043.

Message 4 of 5
CreditUnionFan
Valued Contributor

I imagine I'd have to pay the annual fee on the converted card, since PCs usually don't get any of the signup bonuses.

I wouldn't want two CSPs. Although I guess if they force me, I could see if the points would stick, and if so, then reallocate the CL to the Slate, close the CSP, and then PC the Slate into a replacement CSP.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.