Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC Visa to MC but new card number question

tag
h4ldol
Contributor

PC Visa to MC but new card number question

In that situation (PC a Visa to a MC but the card number is new), will they both show up as separate accounts on my CR?  In that case, for a card with a short history (opened last month), it doesn't seem like there would be much difference between doing the PC or just cancelling one card and opening a new one.  

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: PC Visa to MC but new card number question

@h4ldol wrote:

In that situation (PC a Visa to a MC but the card number is new), will they both show up as separate accounts on my CR?  In that case, for a card with a short history (opened last month), it doesn't seem like there would be much difference between doing the PC or just cancelling one card and opening a new one.  

It could go either way, who is the issuer?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 6
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

If you mean the same card, like changing a Chase Freedom from a Visa to a Mastercard then no they do not both show. The next time it updates it will keep the same history and the account number on the report will be different. If you mean changing a Chase Freedom to a Slate, Chase and Bank of America told me that the account would do the same thing, update with the new account number but keep the history.

Message 3 of 6
h4ldol
Contributor

LS: Issuer is BoA.

@navigatethis12 wrote:

If you mean the same card, like changing a Chase Freedom from a Visa to a Mastercard then no they do not both show. The next time it updates it will keep the same history and the account number on the report will be different. If you mean changing a Chase Freedom to a Slate, Chase and Bank of America told me that the account would do the same thing, update with the new account number but keep the history.

Great, thanks for the info!  I'm planning on requesting a change from Visa to MC only, but with the card itself hopefully not changing.  Good to know that it won't show up twice in that case!

Message 4 of 6
john398
Senior Contributor

@h4ldol wrote:

LS: Issuer is BoA.

@navigatethis12 wrote:

Great, thanks for the info!  I'm planning on requesting a change from Visa to MC only, but with the card itself hopefully not changing.  Good to know that it won't show up twice in that case!

Just fyi the account # will always change from Visa to MC Visa starts with a 4 and MC with a 5

Message 5 of 6
h4ldol
Contributor

@john398 wrote:

Just fyi the account # will always change from Visa to MC Visa starts with a 4 and MC with a 5

Oh yeah, I never thought of that!  I swear I'm learning more than one thing everyday from this board. Smiley Tongue

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.