cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC downgrade to Chase Sapphire - Transfer points?

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

PC downgrade to Chase Sapphire - Transfer points?

Hopefully a quick question a bit of searching didn't seem to answer.  If I were to downgrade my Chase Sapphire Preferred to a no-AF Sapphire card, would I still be eligible for transferring UR points (and those of my Freedom) to partners such as Marriott?  The newest comparison I could find was at least 5 years old and things change, but the chart I saw said that the Sapphire card was not eligible for points transfers.  I can justify keeping the CSP at the $99 AF with the current structure, but if I can save $99 and still essentially get the same current use out of it, why not?  Portal redemption, FTFs, etc. would not be a concern for me in this case.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: PC downgrade to Chase Sapphire - Transfer points?

I thought Chase discontinued the no fee Chase Sapphire? 

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Hopefully a quick question a bit of searching didn't seem to answer.  If I were to downgrade my Chase Sapphire Preferred to a no-AF Sapphire card, would I still be eligible for transferring UR points (and those of my Freedom) to partners such as Marriott?  The newest comparison I could find was at least 5 years old and things change, but the chart I saw said that the Sapphire card was not eligible for points transfers.  I can justify keeping the CSP at the $99 AF with the current structure, but if I can save $99 and still essentially get the same current use out of it, why not?  Portal redemption, FTFs, etc. would not be a concern for me in this case.  Thanks in advance for any help!

Nope, can't transfer to partners with the no AF version. 

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nope. You need an annual fee card to transfer to partners. You would only be able to cash out points at 1% rate.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I thought Chase discontinued the no fee Chase Sapphire? 

You can still downgrade a CSP to it, just not apply for a new one.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here's a review of the differences between the CSP and the regular Sapphire and talks about the downgrade. 

Message 6 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Thanks all for the quick answers; I'll plan on keeping the CSP.  As Irish80 said, the card still exists but it's closed to new apps.  It seems to be a fairly popular layover option since many have reported being unable to downgrade a CSP or CSR directly to Freedom or Freedom Unlimited, but have had success downgrading CSP/CSR to CS, then the CS to CF/CFU.  (All of the acronyms in that last sentence make me want alphabet soup for lunch! LOL)

Edit: ALK11, thanks for that.  With the CSP and CSR dominating the conversation, it's hard to search for the no-AF version.  The best I could really find was an article comparing the CSP to the CS but that was a very old article and I know things change over the years.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.