Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC from AmEx Delta Skymiles card?

tag
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

PC from AmEx Delta Skymiles card?

Before my AF comes due this year, I am seriously considering trying to do a PC to a different AmEx card.  We do tend to fly Delta, but they used to be the only airline that went into the little regional airport near my SO's hometown.  Now there are other airlines, and I hate to be tied into DL for redemptions.  Also, the Companion Certificate timing has been so bad (it was three months late in becoming available this time) that we weren't even able to take advantage of it this year.  So no more DL AmEx for me, or at least a downgrade to the gold.  I can't justify the increased AF for the platinum at this point.

I've done some searches but can't put my finger on which card would be best.  I don't run a huge amount of spend through the card at this point, but I want to maintain a relationship with AmEx as they were my first card way back when, and I've always received exceptional customer service from them.  So, suggestions for cards, and info about whether it is possible to PC to them or if I'd have to app for something else?  I am hoping to not have to do a HP as I've taken some hits the past couple months.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

Re: PC from AmEx Delta Skymiles card?

They do have an "employee" delta card that has no AF. Smiley Happy
Message 2 of 5
disdreamin
Valued Contributor

@Kenny wrote:

Yeah, but I guess then I'd have to give up my ever-so-lucrative (snort!) day job.  Smiley Tongue  

Seriously, though, I don't mind paying for the gold skymiles card as long as we're flying Delta enough to make bank with the baggage fees.  I am just not sure the additional AF spend for the platinum is worthwhile if we let the companion certs go to waste, which we will this time around.

So I'm trying to figure out whether I do a PC to a wholely different AmEx card or just drop to the gold Skymiles.  Hmm...

Message 3 of 5
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@disdreamin wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

Yeah, but I guess then I'd have to give up my ever-so-lucrative (snort!) day job.  Smiley Tongue  

Seriously, though, I don't mind paying for the gold skymiles card as long as we're flying Delta enough to make bank with the baggage fees.  I am just not sure the additional AF spend for the platinum is worthwhile if we let the companion certs go to waste, which we will this time around.

So I'm trying to figure out whether I do a PC to a wholely different AmEx card or just drop to the gold Skymiles.  Hmm...

I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to ask the chat about the card to see if there are any real differences that would make you want to pay the AF.

Message 4 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

@disdreamin wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

I would just downgrade to the Delta Gold AMEX. The reason being, I find that just having that card is enough to get me nearer the front of the gate line to get on the plane; the access to the Delta lounges is available for a $27 day fee; you keep plunking SkyPesos into your SkyMiles account, which keeps it active/availble and if you DO buy a Delta ticket, there's the 2x miles on that cost. Plus the baggage benefit, discount on purchases on the plane, and the no FTF.

I got the Delta Gold in March 2013, I did add the Delta Platinum card February 2014, but found it did not have any other features, except the option if one spends $25k in a year on the Delta cards to get a MQM bonus at the end of the year, but I don't spend anywhere near $25k in a year. So, I cancelled the Delta Platinum in October. I had both cards for a while, so it was an easy decision.

Another poster a few days ago commented they were able to PC the Delta Gold to another non-Delta AMEX, which surprised me, but there is that option now. For myself, I fly just enough, I have a bunch of SkyMiles, and there are not so many other AMEX cards I really like, that I keep the Delta Gold as my only Centurion AMEX, for now.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.