cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PC from EveryDay to ED Preferred with PRG?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

PC from EveryDay to ED Preferred with PRG?

Im sure this has been done before, but just for an update... I like the idea of getting 50% more points after I meet 30 purchases for the EveryDay Preferred... Do any of you have the PRG and the EDP?  How does it work for you?  Thoughts?  I currently have the EveryDay and I am interested in product changing.  

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: PC from EveryDay to ED Preferred with PRG?

@Anonymous wrote:

Im sure this has been done before, but just for an update... I like the idea of getting 50% more points after I meet 30 purchases for the EveryDay Preferred... Do any of you have the PRG and the EDP?  How does it work for you?  Thoughts?  I currently have the EveryDay and I am interested in product changing.  

I had both PRG and EDP for about one year of overlap. I also had about ten other cards, and earned a few bonuses on them during that year. A lot of my spending was at Costco and grocery stores, but for most other spend categories I used other cards. Anything under $2 or so went on EDP.

Ultimately, I hit 30 most months, but I didn't like caring about the number of transactions I was making...and when I pay an AF on a card, I want to make the most of it. With the Costco switch looming, I decided to abandon EDP as a heavy spend card. I PC'ed my EDP to an ED and SD'ed it, closed PRG, and added a Platinum for perks. 

I also have a Sallie and BCE, and they are excellent year-round alternatives for grocery spend.

Given how easy it is to just earn a $500+ travel bonus on some new hotel or airline card, I found using EDP along with several other cards just became a nuisance with very little marginal benefit.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been using EDP for most things outside rotating things and PRG for restaurants since about Octobrr. I'm just switching back to cash back instead. It worked alright, but I don't see keeping the PRG long term and our travel plans changed from the time we planned to amass MRs. I've decided to go for cash back and sweep it into my IRA for now.

The only issue was a glitch with the bonus system on the EDP last month. We'll see how it eventually lays out but I feel it'll take some to resolve, which made my decision to switch even easier.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Made the switch... We'll see how it pans out.  I like the $100 airline credit on the PRG, so I don't see getting rid of it anytime soon.  The Platinum is a staple.  EDP can always be downgraded again... Smiley Happy  

Message 4 of 7
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Hope it works out as planned!

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 7
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Made the switch... We'll see how it pans out.  I like the $100 airline credit on the PRG, so I don't see getting rid of it anytime soon.  The Platinum is a staple.  EDP can always be downgraded again... Smiley Happy  

If you value 1.5MR > 2c say (which most MR users do) then the EDP just becomes your everything else card (providing you can make 30 transactions a month).  I think the EDP is undervalued on this forum

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

After just getting my platinum 100k bonus,  my recent CLI on my ED, paired with the fact that 6-28 I can upgrade to the EDP (and also start moving limits), and in July my AF hits on my PRG I have some thinking to do. My 0% on my ED ends in september and goes to 17%.  Highly leaning towards upgrading to the EDP although I was tempted to apply for an edp 25/30k bonus and then close the ED and PRG.  I am just not  keen on reducing my AAOA or ticking off Amex.

When it comes down to it though I'd benefit more from SPG points anyway due to their flexibility, and with amex being so lenient on APR reductions, having a high limit sub 9% SPG card would be pretty awesome and easy to attain.  Then again who knows how long this card will be around.

Now what would be really crazy is if I did app for the EDP 25/30k paired with a Green 25k, then close the PRG and ED.  .  But since so many folks had their MR accounts frozen from this latest platinum round (i was totally unaffected), I should probably play it safe.  So far I have received the prg 50k bonus, 10k ED bonus, 30k delta bonus (sad), plat 100k, and 35k SPG bonus.  Having another 12-15 months of 0% would be nice but i already have that on my double cash until next feb.

I also have not made much use of the 3/4x MRs purchasing travel directly with the PRG.  I did use the PRG quite a bit for dining though but I am shifting most of that (and of course all fuel) to Sams/AARP for more activity.  The prg did  help my score quite a bit with utilization when I had less CLs and TLs.

Guess I'll be a good person and upgrade to EDP, skip the green, and either keep the PRG for another year or close it.. That would be another $100 of air credits plus more amex offers, so really the AF isnt that severe.

The one thing that does bug me is the 2 low limits on my SPG and Delta Gold.  Should I be concerned with this?

Anyone have data points on how irritated Amex gets if I were to set my Serve card to do a daily 25 cent transaction on an ED/EDP? :-)

What should I do?!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.