Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCed to Arrival World - Received Another Platinum Card Instead

tag
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

PCed to Arrival World - Received Another Platinum Card Instead

Hello - I am experiencing more Barclay confusion.  Wanting to take advantage of the 20,000 bonus, last month I requested a PC to the World Arrival card from US Airways MC.  Initially, I was told that was impossible- called a day or two later - and was told it was quite possible.  I was told that I would not qualify for the 20,000 points, which is a real bummer, but after my account was switched over, I realized that they did not even give me the Arrival APR of 14.99-18.99 percent.  I still have a 24.99 percent APR.  I called again, and was told I had to keep almost all of the conditions of the card I came from.   WHAT?  So, also I am not eligible for the 12 month 0% APR.  That is a lot of benefits to miss out on - and not be told up front that that is going to happenI got the card in the mail today - and see that it is NOT World card - but rather - It is still a Platinum CC - even though my CL is $6200.  When I log into my account, there is a pic of a World card - but I have a Platinum one.  

In the past two months, I have applied for 5 cards - having been approved for two: Citi Simplicity and a NYS CU card.  It was a no-go with AMEX and Chase - and Citi declined for the  Thank You Preferred because I apped too soon after the Simplicity.  That was my bad - I apped for the Simplicity - then realized it was the TYP that better fit my needs.   Knowing how skittish Barclay is re: new inquiries, I really do not want to now apply for the card and have that impact the card I already have - Also, I do not want to HP.   I first open my Barclay account in Jan of 12 with a starting credit lime of about $1000, maybe $1500.  The card has grown very well with me - but I feel like I am being cheated out of the Arrival benefits -  as well as being held in a platinum category although my limit is beyond $5000, my credit score is above 730, and I have been an excellent customer with them.  

I was trying not to go back and app for anything else - even the Citi TYP -which has a lower bonus and rewards structure - but - it looks like I would have been better off doing that.   I do not need/want any more credit cards - I just want the benefits of the card I product changed to.  Any idea of what I should do about this - without apping again? I DO understand that there is a written statement on their website that says one might be approved for a Platinum instead of a World if they do not meet credit criteria.  I thought that one way an applicant made such criteria was being elgible for a $5000 CLI, which Barclay has already determined that I am.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
enharu
Super Contributor

Re: PCed to Arrival World - Received Another Platinum Card Instead

@Changingmantra wrote:

Hello - I am experiencing more Barclay confusion.  Wanting to take advantage of the 20,000 bonus, last month I requested a PC to the World Arrival card from US Airways MC.  Initially, I was told that was impossible- called a day or two later - and was told it was quite possible.  I was told that I would not qualify for the 20,000 points, which is a real bummer, but after my account was switched over, I realized that they did not even give me the Arrival APR of 14.99-18.99 percent.  I still have a 24.99 percent APR.  I called again, and was told I had to keep almost all of the conditions of the card I came from.   WHAT?  So, also I am not eligible for the 12 month 0% APR.  That is a lot of benefits to miss out on - and not be told up front that that is going to happenI got the card in the mail today - and see that it is NOT World card - but rather - It is still a Platinum CC - even though my CL is $6200.  When I log into my account, there is a pic of a World card - but I have a Platinum one.  

In the past two months, I have applied for 5 cards - having been approved for two: Citi Simplicity and a NYS CU card.  It was a no-go with AMEX and Chase - and Citi declined for the  Thank You Preferred because I apped too soon after the Simplicity.  That was my bad - I apped for the Simplicity - then realized it was the TYP that better fit my needs.   Knowing how skittish Barclay is re: new inquiries, I really do not want to now apply for the card and have that impact the card I already have - Also, I do not want to HP.   I first open my Barclay account in Jan of 12 with a starting credit lime of about $1000, maybe $1500.  The card has grown very well with me - but I feel like I am being cheated out of the Arrival benefits -  as well as being held in a platinum category although my limit is beyond $5000, my credit score is above 730, and I have been an excellent customer with them.  

I was trying not to go back and app for anything else - even the Citi TYP -which has a lower bonus and rewards structure - but - it looks like I would have been better off doing that.   I do not need/want any more credit cards - I just want the benefits of the card I product changed to.  Any idea of what I should do about this - without apping again? I DO understand that there is a written statement on their website that says one might be approved for a Platinum instead of a World if they do not meet credit criteria.  I thought that one way an applicant made such criteria was being elgible for a $5000 CLI, which Barclay has already determined that I am.

Your best bet is to call again and have them convert the card to a world MC. 

Chances are they will not be able to do anything about the APR, 0% promo etc, since this is a product change, especially if they had already given you the US Airways sign-up bonus.

Calling them however may result in an analyst manually reviewing your file, which they will then see the new accounts and inquiries. I doubt anything bad will happen out of this, but there's always a risk as well.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 2 of 7
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

@enharu wrote:

Chances are they will not be able to do anything about the APR, 0% promo etc, since this is a product change, especially if they had already given you the US Airways sign-up bonus.

Calling them however may result in an analyst manually reviewing your file, which they will then see the new accounts and inquiries. I doubt anything bad will happen out of this, but there's always a risk as well.

Thanks  -  I do not think I got any bonuses when I got the UA AW account a year and a half ago.  My credit report looks so much better than it did when I got the UA AW MC - back then.  I have had a BK fall off - as well - as medical collections. My score has gone up considerably - The only new negative items on my credit report - as far as Barclay might be concerned - are the five new inquiries.  Is it not the case, that if one qualifies for a CL of at least $5000 is when they move out of the "platinum" tier into a tier such as World?  Before I got the card I asked a CSR for an EO email address and/or phone number, but he insisted that there is not one available to customers.  I was given an address - to which I can write a letter.  I will give them another call - and then write a letter if I have to.  Even -if  I did not get all of the bonuses, etc.  ... I do not get why I would not get a World card.  

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 3 of 7
mxp114
Valued Contributor

It is likely proprietary information but it seems like Barclays does not product upgrade, even if you later exceed the credit line needed for that tier. Some people have $15,000 Platinum cards and others $5,000 World cards. The system makes that determination at the time of application and there doesn't appear to be any path towards changing that.

Message 4 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Changingmantra wrote:

@enharu wrote:

@Changingmantra wrote:

Thanks  -  I do not think I got any bonuses when I got the UA AW account a year and a half ago.  My credit report looks so much better than it did when I got the UA AW MC - back then.  I have had a BK fall off - as well - as medical collections. My score has gone up considerably - The only new negative items on there - as far as Barclay might be concerned - are the five new inquiries.  Is it not the case, that if one qualifies for a CL of at least $5000 is when the move out of the "platinum" tier into a tier such as World?  Before I got the card I asked a CSR for an EO email address and/or phone number, but he insisted that there is not one available to customers.  I was given address - to which I can write a letter.  I will give them another call - and then write a letter if I have to.  Even - even I did not get all of the bonuses, etc.  ... I do not get why I would not get a World card.  

Here's why the PC upgrade did not occur and hope this clears up the confusion.  If the card you are converting from (US Airways) was not a WMC, then the new converting product will not be WMC, regardless if your CL was $5K or $10K... some of these higher CLs can be achieved over time from the original card and still not be elegible for the WMC version (i.e. when you got approved for the US Airways MC, it was not a WMC version).  With Barclays, you either get approved as a Platinum, Signature or WMC level.  Those tiers apply and are portable to any elegible PC but cannot be downgraded or upgraded.

Barclay's policies with regard to PC are vastly different from other issuers like Citi, BofA or Chase.  The end result with your PC was just a change of the reward structure to the Arrival but the T&C of your original card remain applicable (APR%, CL, etc.).  You would not be elegible for any introductory promotions nor sign-up bonus.

Hopefully, you can get some traction when you call again or write them, but it's doubtful, unfortunately.  Hope it works out for you.

Message 5 of 7
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

@mxp114 wrote:

It is likely proprietary information but it seems like Barclays does not product upgrade, even if you later exceed the credit line needed for that tier. Some people have $15,000 Platinum cards and others $5,000 World cards. The system makes that determination at the time of application and there doesn't appear to be any path towards changing that.

Thanks - I see your point!  Maybe I will give it another call -  and then just come to terms with whatever they say.  I do not want to go round and round with them - if there is little chance of my getting even half of the World benefits.  I will just continue to use the card and pay in full.  Between my Barclay  and Discover, which I got about 5 months before, Barclay has been the most generous with the auto CLI - and it is the highest CL that I have.  Both the Citi and Credit Union card were approved for $5000, and I do not know how either will be with that A- CLI.  I want to stay active with Barclay because - at least with the CL - it is growing with me - but it certainly stings not to get the World benifits.  I guess I better plan on never paying them a dime in interest - and revisiting the idea of applying for a better travel rewards card a year from now.

Message 6 of 7
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

Here's why the PC upgrade did not occur and hope this clears up the confusion.  If the card you are converting from (US Airways) was not a WMC, then the new converting product will not be WMC, regardless if your CL was $5K or $10K... some of these higher CLs can be achieved over time from the original card and still not be elegible for the WMC version (i.e. when you got approved for the US Airways MC, it was not a WMC version).  With Barclays, you either get approved as a Platinum, Signature or WMC level.  Those tiers apply and are portable to any elegible PC but cannot be downgraded or upgraded.

Barclay's policies with regard to PC are vastly different from other issuers like Citi, BofA or Chase.  The end result with your PC was just a change of the reward structure to the Arrival but the T&C of your original card remain applicable (APR%, CL, etc.).  You would not be elegible for any introductory promotions nor sign-up bonus.

Hopefully, you can get some traction when you call again or write them, but it's doubtful, unfortunately.  Hope it works out for you.

Thanks - It does - very much! 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.