Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PCing from CSP to plain CS

tag
jake619
Frequent Contributor

PCing from CSP to plain CS

Since they still have the 40,000 points for $3000 in 3 months w/ no 1st year AF, could you get CSP, rake in the sign up points and PC to regular CS before 12 months to avoid paying the AF?  Would you get to continue using the metal card?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Re: PCing from CSP to plain CS

Not sure if you can PC from CSP to CS before the AF is due. But I've heard of it done. Chase usually requires 12 months of account opening before PC. I've also heard of a case of Cap1 refunding AF when the account holder closed the account on the 13th month due to some law regarding refunding AF fee within a month after account closing. Its still worth the AF because you'll still be positive $325 net after the AF Also, you cannot continue using the metal card.
AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 2 of 13
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:
Not sure if you can PC from CSP to CS before the AF is due. But I've heard of it done. Chase usually requires 12 months of account opening before PC. I've also heard of a case of Cap1 refunding AF when the account holder closed the account on the 13th month due to some law regarding refunding AF fee within a month after account closing. Its still worth the AF because you'll still be positive $325 net after the AF Also, you cannot continue using the metal card.

Booooo.  Thanks for the heads up.  I guess then the decision to PC down should come closer to month 23 if there's no proof of evading the AF.

Message 3 of 13
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

Since they still have the 40,000 points for $3000 in 3 months w/ no 1st year AF, could you get CSP, rake in the sign up points and PC to regular CS before 12 months to avoid paying the AF?  Would you get to continue using the metal card?

• Open the card at a branch to get the bonus with $2k spend instead of $3k spend.
  • Don't open the card until after February so you can still get your 7% annual dividend in December before the AF hits in January
  • Instead of PCing to Sapphire, close the card and roll its limit into a Freedom if you already have one.
Message 4 of 13
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

I had similar concerns before applying for this card. But I've had it for 2 months and have racked up 69,xxx points(including the sign-up bonus) between my Freedom and CSP. For me the benefits to cost ratio is worth it so far and I don't even travel very much, maybe an international or national flight once a year. Purchasing on partner websites(expedia, hotels.com, etc) through UR Mall reall racked up points as they give addition 4 points on top of 2 pt/$1 for travel.
AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 5 of 13
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@SwampSystems wrote:

• Open the card at a branch to get the bonus with $2k spend instead of $3k spend.
  • Don't open the card until after February so you can still get your 7% annual dividend in December before the AF hits in January
  • Instead of PCing to Sapphire, close the card and roll its limit into a Freedom if you already have one.

Thanks for the tip.  Bullet 1 & 2 are good to know, #3 not an option for me.  Thanks.

Message 6 of 13
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Just use it for the first year and if you don't think the Perferred benefits are enough to justify the AF then PC to the Regular Sapphire, you will loose the metal card though

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 7 of 13
McArthur
Regular Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

@SwampSystems wrote:

Thanks for the tip.  Bullet 1 & 2 are good to know, #3 not an option for me.  Thanks.

Oh, my friend, if you don't have a Freedom you really do need to get one!

Have a beer, drapp with Duncan and you won't regret it.  Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 13
ukimafija
Regular Contributor

I read on some blog can't remember where that this downgrade is possible, even if they charge you that fee, yes there is a law that within I think 45 days you can cancel the card or PC  it and they have to wave the annual fee.

Also read this:

And this: http://www.relentlessfinancialimprovement.com/2012/11/downgrade-your-credit-card-to-avoid.html

BOA Cash Rewards Visa Sig. 12K; BOA Travel Rewards Visa Sig 5K, US Bank Cash+ 11.5K, AMEX BCE 6200, AMEX BLUE Sky 7K, Chase Freedom Visa Sig. 5400, Fort Knox FCU Visa Platinum 2500; CAP ONE Cash Rewards WORLD MC 5K

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 747
Goal Score: 800+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 13
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

I have seen where multiple people on FT have asked and been downgraded before the AF hits

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.