Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PENFED Membership through Donation?

tag
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: PENFED Membership through Donation?

@rightcoast wrote:

Thats great! Did you do all of this online as well? That seems like a really good idea but Im sure scores were much higher than mine at the time. I am still rebuilding.

PenFed is not a good place for rebuilders, IMO.

It's a great place for people with good/great credit and low utilization. Can't remember when I joined but people were continually going ga ga over high limits and great low interest BT offers. Tons of people joined but really only people with excellent credit were able to take advantage of their offerings.

I've been a member for years and did the annual application as scores improved, hoping to save some money. After the third or fourth year I really felt like Charly Brown and they were Lucy, LOL! Even now, with perfectly clean credit, it's still unlikely they'd approve because of high utilization. That gold bar still hasn't managed to pop up. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 24
Datx
Valued Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

It's a great place for people with good/great credit and low utilization. Can't remember when I joined but people were continually going ga ga over high limits and great low interest BT offers. Tons of people joined but really only people with excellent credit were able to take advantage of their offerings.

I've been a member for years and did the annual application as scores improved, hoping to save some money. After the third or fourth year I really felt like Charly Brown and they were Lucy, LOL! Even now, with perfectly clean credit, it's still unlikely they'd approve because of high utilization. That gold bar still hasn't managed to pop up. Smiley Happy

Totally agree, PenFed is not a good CU for rebuilders. I guess the only thing that drew me to join was their pre-approval process. One day when/if I get that nice looking pre-approval list on my account, I know I have accomplish something great when it comes to my credit.

Message 22 of 24
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@Datx wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

Totally agree, PenFed is not a good CU for rebuilders. I guess the only thing that drew me to join was their pre-approval process. One day when/if I get that nice looking pre-approval list on my account, I know I have accomplish something great when it comes to my credit.

I've been waiting for that to happen since 10/03/08. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 23 of 24
toppers555
Established Contributor

Well I personally joined PenFed recently to take the HP now, and at end of their year, when my inquries are down to zero ,and the two baddies I have on my report fall off in may I will be looking for that magically golden bar, and working on building a relationship with them untill then. 

TU 715 No apps to 05/13 cash+ 5/13!!! 738 TU CSP April 13!!!CSP approved May 13!!!

Message 24 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.