Frequent Contributor
rightcoast

Re: PENFED Membership through Donation?

I will do my reviewing on USAA hopefully they are as good as NFCU!

Starting Score: 530 (EQ) 03-2012
Current Score: 678 (TU) myFico 04-2013, 649 (EQ myFico
Goal Score: 720+

Wallet: Wells Fargo Secured- 400 CL, Capital One Secured- 250 CL, Credit One Unsecured- 300 CL
Frequent Contributor
rightcoast

Ugh. There isn't a USAA in my area either only First Federal and others. I guess it doesn't particularly matter

Wallet: Wells Fargo Secured- 400 CL, Capital One Secured- 250 CL, Credit One Unsecured- 300 CL
Senior Contributor
bichonmom

rightcoast wrote:
Ugh. There isn't a USAA in my area either only First Federal and others. I guess it doesn't particularly matter

Usaa is geared toward active military that are overseas and nowhere near a branch. They are completely set up for online and phone banking. They do have some places where you can make a deposit in person, like UPS STORES, for example. But really you never need to do anything in person with them.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Established Contributor
dodgeball

If you can possibley swing getting into NFCU do it, I am a member of all three banks and NFCU makes Penfed and USAA look horrible overall.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Frequent Contributor
rightcoast

That is my first choice and I'm working hard to get in. (DOD benefit thing is getting me) but I bank with Wells Fargo now and I am not very pleased with their service. Would you recommend these banks over Wells Fargo?

Senior Contributor
drkaje

Don't use a HP on PenFed unless your credit history is near perfect and utilization are low.

USAA is a great bank, they just don't throw huge credit lines at people with low scores. :smileyhappy:

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Established Member
rabell12

I joined PenFed by opening a Share Account in mid-September with the intent of building a relationship until 2013 and app'ing for the Platinum Rewards card. I work for a company that does a lot of Gov't contract work, and they are on the 'approved' company list, so opening the account/becoming a member was no problem.

In mid-October I called customer service with a question, and while we were on the phone the CSR asked if I was interested in the PR card.  Told her I was interested, but was in the middle of a refi on my home, and couldn't afford a HP until that closed out. She said no problem, we'll use the one from opening the Share Account. 10 seconds later she tells me I'm approved with a $20K CL. Wow!

My refi closed at the end of November. I'd been curious about PenFed's used car refinance program with 1.49% up to 60 months. My truck was financed through BB&T at 7.99%. In early December I applied on-line for the refi and was approved - used the same HP from opening the Share Account in September.

My experience with PenFed so far has been great, and I will continue to grow that relationship as additional opportunities arise.

Established Member
rabell12

Meant to include that I set up small direct deposits in to the share account as soon as it was opened, my scores were in the 680-700 range across the CRAs, and I had a number of inquiries (7-9), mostly refi related, showing on all 3 CRAs. Frankly, based on reading how conservative PenFed is, I was surprised I was able to get the PR card. YMMV.

Frequent Contributor
rightcoast

Thats great! Did you do all of this online as well? That seems like a really good idea but Im sure scores were much higher than mine at the time. I am still rebuilding.

Established Member
rabell12

Everything has been online with them.  They don't have any brick & morter locations in the state I live in.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}