Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PENFED Question

tag
14IS4
New Contributor

PENFED Question

Hi all,

I applied for PENFED on 1/8/2014 and funded my $5 savings account I was signing up for purchasing a new vehicle which was supposed to come in during the end of February. I didn't know that PENFED was going to do a hard pull for opening the account but I was relieved that they use that hard pull for whatever you apply for in the next 60-90 days. I received an email stating that my car wasn't going to be ready until the beginning of April now and would probably fall out of the 90 day range.

Not wanting to waste a hard pull I called PENFED to see about applying for the Platinum Rewards Visa Signature card since I only have one other card open right now. I was told by the CSR that the hard pull was only good for 30 days but that if I didn't apply for anything the day I opened the account that they would have to do another hard pull. I was seeing if anyone knew if this was true and if it was worth it trying to call back to speak to another CSR and see if I get different results.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: PENFED Question

@14IS4 wrote:

Hi all,

I applied for PENFED on 1/8/2014 and funded my $5 savings account I was signing up for purchasing a new vehicle which was supposed to come in during the end of February. I didn't know that PENFED was going to do a hard pull for opening the account but I was relieved that they use that hard pull for whatever you apply for in the next 60-90 days. I received an email stating that my car wasn't going to be ready until the beginning of April now and would probably fall out of the 90 day range.

Not wanting to waste a hard pull I called PENFED to see about applying for the Platinum Rewards Visa Signature card since I only have one other card open right now. I was told by the CSR that the hard pull was only good for 30 days but that if I didn't apply for anything the day I opened the account that they would have to do another hard pull. I was seeing if anyone knew if this was true and if it was worth it trying to call back to speak to another CSR and see if I get different results.

Last year it was 60 or 90 can't remember which it was.....But if your called and they told you 30 days then they must have just changed it. I would call back and make sure  . You are still within your 30 day window.  also call and see if they will let you apply on the phone and make sure it's not another HP

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 8
14IS4
New Contributor

@Wade64 wrote:

@14IS4 wrote:

Hi all,

Last year it was 60 or 90 can't remember which it was.....But if your called and they told you 30 days then they must have just changed it. I would call back and make sure  . You are still within your 30 day window.  also call and see if they will let you apply on the phone and make sure it's not another HP

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely still in the 30 day window which I thought was weird because if you had to apply for something on the first day then there shouldn't be a 30 day window it should be a same day window. She told me 100% that it was going to be another hard pull if I applied for the card over the phone or online. I guess my best bet is just to call back in the morning and see what another rep has to say because if the first rep was right then it goes against everything I've been reading about PENFED in the past.

Message 3 of 8
Weights
Regular Contributor

@14IS4 wrote:

@Wade64 wrote:

@14IS4 wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely still in the 30 day window which I thought was weird because if you had to apply for something on the first day then there shouldn't be a 30 day window it should be a same day window. She told me 100% that it was going to be another hard pull if I applied for the card over the phone or online. I guess my best bet is just to call back in the morning and see what another rep has to say because if the first rep was right then it goes against everything I've been reading about PENFED in the past.

From what I've been told, they'll normally use the same pull for any loan applications made within 60 days of the initial hp.  However, they will sometimes use a new pull if a loan officer deems it necessary to get a fresher report for whatever reason.  I would call back and speak with another rep to see if you get a different response.  

Message 4 of 8
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Weights wrote:

@14IS4 wrote:

@Wade64 wrote:

@14IS4 wrote:

Hi all,

From what I've been told, they'll normally use the same pull for any loan applications made within 60 days of the initial hp.  However, they will sometimes use a new pull if a loan officer deems it necessary to get a fresher report for whatever reason.  I would call back and speak with another rep to see if you get a different response.  

+1

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 5 of 8
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@14IS4 wrote:

@Wade64 wrote:

@14IS4 wrote:

Hi all,

They have been making a lot of changes Latey Smiley Sad that sure sucks!!!

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 6 of 8
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@Weights wrote:

@14IS4 wrote:

@Wade64 wrote:

@14IS4 wrote:

Hi all,

+1

They told me that last year so it was true at 1 time

Message 7 of 8
14IS4
New Contributor

Update:

I called back and spoke with a different CSR and he told me that I have to give authorization to pull the credit report before they go through with the application. He said that almost all the time it uses the report on file but he can't guarentee that it will. He also said that it is completely automated and no where during the process is he able to see which report is being used. He did give me the advice to go and put a freeze on my Experian report so that I will know if they're trying to do another hard pull or not.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.