Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PENFED Reward Change

tag
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

PENFED Reward Change

Hi all,

So I just signed on to my penfed reward site today to check out point balance - and discovered that they have changed the cash rewards.  It is no longer 1% equivalant for the point CC.  Instead, you need 6,100 points for $50, 12,000 points for $100, 29,600 for $250 and $59,000 for $500.

Also, gift cards have gone up - 3,000 points is (generally) a $25 gift card.

So I'm pretty peeved right now, especially since I was holding on to the points for "just a bit longer" to save them to get to what I have now and BAM, they change it!

So beware everyone!  If you aren't picky, they still have "hot deals" that will be better... ie, right now there's a Gap $25 card for 2,400 points and a Regal movie thing - two tickets for 1,700 points (ie, about $8.50 - no VIP use).

Also, as a new note, since my PenFed AND USAA CC are no longer worth 1% (at least at resonable spending levels), what card would be good?

Spending profile:

~$300 per month on gas (max)

~$400-500 per month on groceries (max)

~$50-200 per month on misc (usually restaurants, some movies, some other stuff - this is the fun catch all category)

Occasionally, we'll travel (usually by plane) but that's a once a year type thing.  Some Amazon shopping, although not a lot.  Not a ton of music buying and we are past the textbook age.  We have no kids.  We also have little income, hence the smaller spending limits. Smiley Tongue  Thoughts? We have GREAT credit, but low income as I am a grad student and DH is on a 1 year appointment for teaching but with a really low salary.

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 64
63 REPLIES 63
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Re: PENFED Reward Change

Looks to me like BCP 

Message 2 of 64
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

If you guys are on a limited budget and don't want an annual fee, BCE or Sallie Mae MC from Barclays.

I like the Sallie Mae because you get 5% on gas (Up to $250 per month), 5% on groceries ($250 a month) and 5% on bookstores ($750 a month, is supposed to include Amazon). So your spending on gas and groceries are higher then the max you can earn this month but you still would get 1% on the rest. 

In order of the rate at which rewards you would earn, if I did my math right, would be BCP(Even with AF), Sallie Mae, BCE. So it depends on how you feel about AFs. (I used your high number in your ranges and did not give anything more then 1% for the "Other")

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 3 of 64
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Wow, thanks for pointing that out, no notice from Penfed.   About two weeks ago I redeemed 5,000 for a $50 debit card, now it would take 6,100.   I suspected something would happen with the release of the Visa Sig version, but I expected some notification!

So based on this cash-like redemption, you would spend $1,220 on gas to get the 6,100 points to redeem for $50, so it's now a 4.09% card.

Those with Cash Rewards version, has that changed?

Message 4 of 64
OnTheRebound
Established Contributor

Yes. Cash Rewards here. Thought I had $120. Only now it's $100.00. I'm PO'd.

ETA: No notification

Amex BCE $11.1 / Citi Diamond Preferred WMC $12K / Citi Double Cash WMC $3.8K / Comenity Total Rewards Visa $2.5K / Citi Home Depot $5K / AU- Amex BCP $12K / Chase Freedom Visa $11014.00 / PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature $6K / GE Lowes $10K
myFico Scores on 10/03/2014
Eq 798 / Exp 811 / Trans 814
CCT Fico 08 on 1/3/16 - Trans 786 / Exp 793 / Eq 797
Message 5 of 64
Exonumist
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Wow, thanks for pointing that out, no notice from Penfed.   About two weeks ago I redeemed 5,000 for a $50 debit card, now it would take 6,100.   I suspected something would happen with the release of the Visa Sig version, but I expected some notification!

So based on this cash-like redemption, you would spend $1,220 on gas to get the 6,100 points to redeem for $50, so it's now a 4.09% card.

Those with Cash Rewards version, has that changed?

As far as I can tell Cash Rewards are still the same. Although my last statement closed about a week ago.

Message 6 of 64
RemyWinchester
Contributor

Just called PFCU and closed my Visa with them. Had them move that credit line to my Defender Amex.  

This is not good, although I dont blame them much if it wasn't making money. 

I had the original cash rewards about three years ago. Went from 5%/1.25% to 5%/1%, than 5%/.25%, than 5/3/1 point system, now this crap. I'll use my BoA 3.3/2.2/1.1 cash card over this POS point card now. And my BCE. Fairwell Visa Plat Cash Reward card!

(I still have my PFCU Defender AMEX for %0 FTF, and if I absolutely need an EMV card I can get one from USAA!)

My personal credit card motto - "If I don't use it, I lose it!"

Message 7 of 64
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@RemyWinchester wrote:

Just called PFCU and closed my Visa with them. Had them move that credit line to my Defender Amex.  

This is not good, although I dont blame them much if it wasn't making money. 

I had the original cash rewards about three years ago. Went from 5%/1.25% to 5%/1%, than 5%/.25%, than 5/3/1 point system, now this crap. I'll use my BoA 3.3/2.2/1.1 cash card over this POS point card now. And my BCE. Fairwell Visa Plat Cash Reward card!

(I still have my PFCU Defender AMEX for %0 FTF, and if I absolutely need an EMV card I can get one from USAA!)

My personal credit card motto - "If I don't use it, I lose it!"

Did you have the Platinum Cash Rewards (cash back) or the Plat Rewards (points)?  Want to see how they are handling the cash back stuff!

But time to move my speedpass to TYP for now...

Message 8 of 64
RemyWinchester
Contributor

I had the original cash rewards card, long before this points card came out. 

When they switched I switched with it, thinking 5/3/1 was a great deal... This was the third round of devaluation on my card. I had the Platinum Rewards Card (point)

Now today's news, I'm reading alot of different personal finance sites and everyone is outraged. I wasn't using this card anymore so I just cut it. 

Message 9 of 64
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I agree.  Ridiculous that they gave no notice of point change.  Even the rewards website has incorrect info still.  Claims visa gift cards as cheap as 5000 points.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 10 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.