Valued Contributor

Re: PENFED Reward Change

So glad that I didn't get this card.

Also, without notification I think you all have good reasoning for some complaints. I would be writing letters to PenFed, NCUA, and maybe even CFPB.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $32,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Citi Forward (12/12) $14,600, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Thank You Premier (6/15) $6,800

Last App: June 27, 2015
Super Contributor

I guess any card that has unusually good rewards is going to get nerfed sooner or later.   Currently this is still 4.1% or so (depending on redemption) on gas, which is still better than most, but any downgrade gives a very negative impression.   I'll just use my TYP for now, and see what happens to the Penfed Cash Rewards card.

Contributor

If we were all locked up in PFCU prison, I would lead the prison break and free you all.  I would be the one who said follow me, we are going to be free!

Valued Contributor

Hopefully, something new will come out with the best rewards for the best credit.   I am glad that I saw this thread yesterday though, because it saves me a hard inq and probable denial for one of the most prudent lenders... only for the chance to get a card that has been consistently downgraded.

I wonder if PenFed will change their underwriting criteria since their card has lost much of its appeal and is no longer outrageously awesome.

EX:694 TU:744 EQ:777
Amex ED $19.5k - BoA Travel Rewards $15k - CSP $5k - SDFCU EMV $15k - NFCU goRewards $20k - Barclays Arrival $6.5k
New Contributor

If a rewards are redeemed for a larger amount gift card then you need 11800 points for $100 gift card

This results in a cash back percentage from earlier 5% to 4.24 %.

Regular Contributor

This is disapointing. I got the Penfed Platinum Rewards card earlier this year and used it for all my gas purchases. I also have the chase freedom and discover it, I guess they'll be getting out of the sock drawer more often than I expected.
Valued Contributor

longtimelurker wrote:

Those with Cash Rewards version, has that changed?

Doesn't look like it.  My statement cut yesterday and it's still 5% on gas.

Regular Contributor

Does penfed let you pc to the cash rewards card?
Super Contributor

yellowcake wrote:
Does penfed let you pc to the cash rewards card?

I plan to wait for a bit before trying.  If 5% off gas is unsustainable on one card, I would expect some change in Cash Rewards at some point.

Valued Contributor

Wow!!! Smiley Surprised This is really bad news. Thanks for posting this. I'm glad I stayed with the PenFed Platinum Cash Rewards Visa card. Hopefully they won't nerf the 5% cashback on gas.

Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.