Did you mean: 

PENFED Reward Change

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: PENFED Reward Change

@CreditUnionFan wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

Where is the info about the Plat Rewards moving to 3:2:1?  This is for the Signature version as far as I know.

Also, a few rewards are still 1:1, I just got the $25 marshalls gift card for 2,500 points for example.  Not ideal of course!

One of the issues I often have with trading for gift cards is that these gift cards are billed as full value, but if I use my TJX card, for example, I effectively receive 5% back.

Yes, I agree (I must have posted that months ago!)  I just got the Marshalls card to "cash" out my points on one of my cards.   A few weeks later, the 1:1 offers disappeared and I had to cash out my other card at something like 1200 for a $10 card.

Message 61 of 64
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@ztnjpv wrote:

Yes. I called and spoke to CSR in the rewards dept. 

The point structure is still 5-3-1. I tried to be as clear and exact as I could. She asked me if my card was "Platinum" under the Visa logo. I said yes and she assured me it was still 5-3-1. She claimed to know nothing of any upcoming point reductions. 

So there you have it....for now. GRANTED, as we all know,  the points are not worth a penny each so it's not a true 5-3-1 in terms of % cash back but it's still a decent option when the Freedom is maxed out. 

If a point is worth .847 (That's what my shoddy math got me by dividing 5000 by 5900), then the gas is still 4.235%. Pretty good considering there's no limits. What beats that? Not too many options...especially over a full year. Even the groceries is still 2.541%. For the Walmart SC Shopper, it's still the best deal. BoA 3-2-1 doesn't beat it even with the checking bonus. Sure, if you shop at regualr super market, there are more options like BCP but it's capped at $6k. If you have a family, that $6k won't go a year at all. What then?

Bottom line, the card still has uses. Now, if they drop to 3-2-1, it's pretty much worthless. 

Oh, I agree it isn't, bad and I will certainly continue to use it for the niche of international supermarkets which they cover at 3 points, and most cards drop to 1%.

For pure gas purchases though, Penfed Cash Rewards, with an associated product, really is still 5%.  For many, Sallie Mae at $250 a month might be enough (and my wife has one as well so we would have $500 a month).  And my new Blue Cash is unlimited 5% on groceries and gas (after an initial spend elsewhere).

How are you getting unlimited 5% on groceries and gas?

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 62 of 64
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

Blue Cash vs Blue Cash Preferred.

See also:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/the-old-Blue-Cash-card-Amex-still-available/td-p/268571...

Message 63 of 64
FutureBillionaire
Established Contributor

@takeshi74 wrote:

@FutureBillionaire wrote:

Blue Cash vs Blue Cash Preferred.

See also:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/the-old-Blue-Cash-card-Amex-still-available/td-p/268571...

Thanks. Applied for it today. 

Gas: Discover It, Penfed Platinum Rewards x2, Chase freedom, Citi TYP
Plane tickets: CSP
Groceries: AMEX BCP, Penfed Platinum Rewards,Citi TYP
Clothes: Express, Amex BCP, Discover IT
Amazon: Citi Forward, Cash +
Restaurants: Citi Forward, Chase Freedom, Discover IT, CSP
Hotels and other travel: Discover Escape, CSP
Movies: BofA travel rewards visa signature(fandango), Discover IT, Citi Forward, Freedom
Bars, clubs, tomfoolery: CSP, Citi Forward, Discover IT, Freedom
Balance transfers: Kroger 123 rewards
Bill Pay: Chase Ink Plus, Citi Forward,
Everyday spending: Bofa Accelerated cash rewards amex, Discover Escape
Message 64 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.